Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

Shallower Suspension Caps?

Yea the piece that is hard ip against the top is the rubber of the top mount it's literally a dome it's not got a piece thats sunk on one side. it's literally got a plate that's sites ontop of the shocker and then it's D shaped which sits inside the top

here is a picture of how they look as you can possibly make out they are D shaped and i have put the top of the D at the top of the turret (the bit you can see) underneath is a metal cup like piece which seems to sit ontop of the coilover unit so i guessed that would be the way it went.

SUDL002_res_635x475.jpg

just had a little thought. maybe the flat bit goes into the top of the turret and the dome bit sits on the coilover. it just didnt look right but maybe it does?

Without holding one in my hand, at first glance it looks like the bearing isn't recessed enough. On the standard mount, the bearing is flush with the lower part of the mount (the bit that sits on top of the strut), which allows plenty of recess to allow the top plate to sit a cm or so above the suspension tower, where it should be.

I hate to say it but I think they're either just a bad design, or are for a different car.

What was the purpose of fitting these out of interest? I've yet to see any other mount outlast the OE ones. The OE rubber bit isn't the problem, that lasts for ages. It's the bearing. No one does an uprated bearing in their so called 'up rated' top mounts. Bonrath used to for MK2s, but not the VR platform sadly....

Every year on mot it fails on top mounts and the rubbers were a good 3 years old with new bearings each year so I was gonna replace the lot. These were similar money to standard items but being poly... They do have vag bearings in as you can see the Vw Audi logo on the bearing.. Like I said they aren't as tall and don't have he recess in the top of em so maybe they are just shite.. If you go onto supersport.de and swap it to English they are listed for the Corrado and golf Toledo swell I think

Really? Mine's never failed on top mounts. I did go through a phase of getting through a set every 6 months but I think VAG seem to have improved the bearings! Been running a set of standards for over a year now and they're still in good nick...

Fair enough then, I'd stick a new set of standards on personally and send the Supersports back as "unfit for purpose". Which ever way you look at it, they're clearly not right unfortunately.