Sign in to follow this  
carrots

power steering

hi noticed my power steering fluid is a bit low.been told in the past on other cars to check it when its running,is this true,also what stuff do i put in

hi noticed my power steering fluid is a bit low.been told in the past on other cars to check it when its running,is this true,also what stuff do i put in

what car/engine?

1.8 16v 1990

add that to your sig then! :)

on the 1.8, the reservoir (rectangular type) also acts to cool the fluid and the fluid all circulates through this with the engine running, you'll find it may be near the minimum mark when the engine is off, but rises when running, that is fine.

It's an idea to drain and replace the fluid if it hasn't been done for years, you can either buy a litre (or two half litres) from VW, or the generic LHM type green hydraulic fluid from GSF ECP or even halfords will be fine (ignore the header tank cap colours, all Corrados use the green fluid)

Drain by removing the fill hose from the PAS pump (engine off) and refill as much as you can through the header tank, then just run the steering from lock to lock until the whining of bubbles in the rack subsides.

I've never found the need to prime the pump when refilling but it won't harm to slacken the drive belt and turn by hand a few times just to make sure.