jaded2882

Wheels / tyres for track days

I'm looking for some light 17" 4 stud wheels to stick some R888s on for track days this year. What would folks recommend? I've heard compomotives are good for this but there doesn't seem to be many on ebay. Any other brands? And what about suitable ET for track use?

If anyone has any for sale then let me know!

Compomotive are far from light mate! Strength is their main, erm, strength! :D

If you want light and 17" in the same sentence, look no further than the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1, if you can find a set. Pro Race 1.2 is a wee bit heavier, but has schitt caliper clearance for big brakes.

Ahh cheers for info. So something like these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17-Team-Dynamics- ... 4cf46c30bb

They are 4 stud so I think they will fit a G60 but the only bit I'm not sure about is this:

'THE WHEEL CENTRE BORE IS 72.6MM AND WILL FIT A VARIETY OF CARS (RENAULT, VAUXHALL, VW, CITROEN, PEUGEOT, NISSAN ETC) WHICH HAVE A PCD OF 4X100MM WITH THE CORRECT SIZE SPIGOT RINGS. I HAVE A SET OF SPIGOT RINGS TO REDUCE THE PCD FROM 72.6MM TO 60.1MM TO FIT A RENAULT MEGANE. YOU CAN HAVE THESE IF YOU WISH.'

Any one know if this will fit a G?

OK so a set of 72.6 to 57.1 rings will mean they fit ok? Sorry for being a numpty but just wanna be sure they will fit if I bid on them!

If you want light and 17" in the same sentence, look no further than the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1, if you can find a set. Pro Race 1.2 is a wee bit heavier, but has schitt caliper clearance for big brakes.

I've got loads of room for my 305mm discs and 4 pots behind my 1.2's.

I've got loads of room for my 305mm discs and 4 pots behind my 1.2's.

What caliper and what offset? They're not even close to clearing my AP calipers, ET35.

That'll be why then, 12mm extra offset clearance over Et35. Ibiza or Leon Brembos? The latter are massive compared to the former.

boxster brembos. pretty wide but as you say, the offset eats the calipers!

Cool. Just trying to understand why mine didn't fit cause I was most miffed when I offered the wheel up and Mr AP caliper said, "think again pal, you ain't putting that over me!"

The ProRace 1 has acres of caliper space by comparison, but as it's not a retail wheel, the quality is pretty schitt tbh....

I've got the wheels now, just need some track tyres to get set for summer!

Does anyone know where I can R888s cheaper than this? I'm guessing not as I've had a good look round on net

http://www.rotationuk.com/gbu0-prodshow/toyo_proxes_r888_205_40_17_84_w.html

They are out of stock at the moment but this is way less than camskill could do.

I noticed camskill offer 'soft' SG R888s as well- I know the GG ones will be soft enough but considering I will have these on just to get to and from track days (and obviously on the track) should I consider the soft ones? Or will I kill them in a few laps? :)

I'm afraid Rotation have been out of stock for a good 18 months and that price was from before that - these days 205/40/17s are at least £150 if not £160 each, they had a massive price hike last year. I would call camskill and see what they quote over the phone, otherwise, hang around on a few track-based forums/websites (northloop/bookatrack/openpitlane etc) and see if anyone knows any good deals. regarding the SGs, they're only really intended for hill-climbs where you need instant bite with little/no warm-up, as you say, you will kill them on a track.

otherwise there are a number of other track tyres out there which are cheaper - kumho & federal are a couple of examples which you'll see if you search on the track day or even general sections of tyre sites. toyo also do a less hardcore tyre now called the R1R which although its not much cheaper has more tread and better wet performance if you want something for the road as well.

Oh dear, I thought there was a bit of difference between rotation and camskill :( £600+ for a set is barmy

I would probably still go with 'road legal' track tyres rather than R1Rs as I would only be using them for track driving and the odd cheeky weekend in summer. Are the Kumho and Federal as good as R888s? I guess I may have old info about R888s being the cheapest track tyres.

I havent used any of the others I'm afraid - from what i've read the other varieties are just as good value for money (ie. maybe not quite as good, but cheaper to compensate). the trouble is that there arent too many types available in our sizes - and just looking now, it seems not that much cheaper either.. :(

I might be tempted to get a cheaper brand if you're starting out on track days to get a feel for the limits they give and the general feel under hard use (most middle range brands should hold up ok). once you've got used to the car and pushing it then a step up to something more focussed will let you choose if you like paying the extra or whether you have just as much fun drifting around on something not so sticky :)

(ps. if you've done lots already then just ignore all that!)

I haven't done a lot no. The last one I did, the instructor said that the car felt great and I was learning quickly- but it was being let down by the tyres.

Thanks for your advice about the trackday forums- there is loads of info on there. Looks like R888s are too expensive and rare to be considered great value now. There is also talk of them being discontinued by Toyo. So I'll have a good look around on the forums and see what a decent alternative is.

no problems. dont know what your budget is, but sometimes you can get 2nd hand tyres (including slicks sometimes!) from professional racers too. whether going the 2nd hand route really depends on how cheaply you can get your tyres fitted though, and also the more grip you have the stiffer the set up on your car needs to be.

Tyre availability seems to change on a weekly basis these days.

These used to be available in 205/40/17, but aren't listed anymore, and the price of the Hankook RS2 has sky rocketed because Track day enthusiasts (Megane R26R in particular) wax lyrical about them. If you can drop to 15s, these are good tyres:-

Federal 595 RS - http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=36448289.110.15733&typ=R-150962&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=50&Felge=15&weiter=30&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Kumho XS KU36 - http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=36448289.110.15733&typ=R-163655&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=50&Felge=15&weiter=30&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Hankook RS2 - http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=36448289.110.15733&typ=R-119467&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=50&Felge=15&weiter=30&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

You can also import tyres, such as the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec 1, which is very popular in the states on high power FWD VWs, but it's not available here. Quelle surprise....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

Thanks for info. Found out I've gotta have a shoulder operation in the next month so no point buying track tyres till I know when I'll be able to drive again :(

As R888s are like rocking horse poo at the moment, and there are very few track tyres in my size, I'm going for Kumho V70As. Tyredrive do them for £131 each and delivery is only £11.50 for 4.