Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

New GTi. Holy + sh'eet!

Some people dont want to drive about in a 5 year old car though. You cant just say there not worth £30K, you have take them in comparison with what other new cars cost. They may be slighty more but not a huge amount more. As for the bashing that the RS3 is getting, I bet you they completely sell out and in a few years time they will still be worth a lot. If you know someone is going to pay £45k for it then why not ask for that? They are all in it to make money after all.

Ok... I'll tell you another car for £30k I'd have over the Scirocco R every single day of the week - even if it is a Vauxhall.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1869928.htm

2.8 turbo.. 4WD.. all the toys.. brembo brakes.. REALLY nice looking car in the metal. And if you shop around you can get these for about £24k. Almost getting to the price of a normal Golf GTI or Scirocco... which is REALLY ridiculous.

I stand my earlier comment that the Scirocco R is ludicrously overpriced!

Very nice car but as you said it's a vauxhall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have a vauxhall if it was a V8 :) , but then if we're talking about V8s for 30k then that's a whole other imported-muscle-car-from-America kettle of fish :D

Mk6 is nice but over-priced. I have just gone from a Mk6 2.OTDi in GT spec - £22k to a Mondeo 2.0TDi Zetec, same power, virtually identical spec but the Mondeo is a whole size bigger and less than £20k.

I want a comfortable, safe car (got the BMW and Alfa fopr fun) thats decent to drive and in terms of handling, steering feel, ride comfort the Mondeo has the Golf licked - the fact thats its hugely more practical and spacious and £2k cheaper makes me wonder why anyone would choose the Golf - its not even arguable on the basis of residuals anymore as the Mondeos higher depreciation is completely offset by the bigger discounts available at the front end

Remember resale has a part to play as well, I wonder how much they are all worth in say 3 years time?

Definitely! A second hand MK5 GTI will always be worth more than the equivalent Seat and Skoda and the Audi A3 equivalent will fetch more than the Golf. That has always been the case and you are spot on, VAG are playing the game. They know exactly what they're doing :D

At the end of the day, it's like you say, it's the gullible public who fuel the demand and markets for these cars (those ghastly crossovers included!!). We know darn well an Audi A3 is just a Golf with extra padding, but that doesn't stop the public paying a huge premium for it. They just have to have the 4 rings parked on their drive. It's just superficial shallowness the car makers are exploiting and who can blame them I guess? It's weird. This kind elitist badge snobbery is far less prevalent in the rest of Europe. It's just Britain. In Germany, all the cars we covet so highly are merely taxis and rental cars!

It's just annoying for less well off folk like us who would like a Golf R, but can't afford the crazy asking price, which has risen to that level because of said reasons. The MK5 R32 at £26K when new actually seems like good value now!!

Ok... I'll tell you another car for £30k I'd have over the Scirocco R every single day of the week - even if it is a Vauxhall.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1869928.htm

2.8 turbo.. 4WD.. all the toys.. brembo brakes.. REALLY nice looking car in the metal. And if you shop around you can get these for about £24k. Almost getting to the price of a normal Golf GTI or Scirocco... which is REALLY ridiculous.

I stand my earlier comment that the Scirocco R is ludicrously overpriced!

I have to say Jim, after Vauxhall's recent model overhaul, they're knocking out some really good cars at the moment. We were looking at the new Astra recently as a replacement for the missus's Polo and we were impressed by it!

I'd have a vauxhall if it was a V8 :) , but then if we're talking about V8s for 30k then that's a whole other imported-muscle-car-from-America kettle of fish :D

If I'm spending £30k on a V8 then give me one of these every day of the week.........OK so its used but at least the engine should be bedded in.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2391826.htm

My best mates just gone from a mk5 to a mk6 and reckons the 6 is waaaaaay better. The looks have grown on me now and I think its a really handsome car, but there's no way I could justify £30k on an 'r'.