Pat_McCrotch

Pat McCrotch's VR6

very nice looking corrado there Pat

have been watching the thread for a while but not replied. glad you're happy with it now.

how about some eibach springs on the standard shockers if you get the chance?

what plans have you got lined up for it other than the ARB?

i would defo fit the ARB anyway - mine turned in lots nicer once i had my rear ARB on.

It was good to try a totally standard VR again after all these years of modifications :D

I will be sticking with my V3s though :lol:

The standard setup is a curious blend of hard springs, hard rebound and very soggy primary bump. The latter is what causes the floaty wallowing feel, a slight reluctance to turn-in and dead brake feel. The hard rebound and springs cause, imo, a slight harshness over bumps but compared to the dog schitt coilovers that were on it previously, it's a massive improvement.

On a local road I know well, I felt it drove very well and it maintained it's composure when I deliberately tried to unsettle it round a hairpin bend. Impressive. If VW were more generous with the primary bump damping, it would be spot on imo.

Such a slow car as standard though!

"Such a slow car as standard though!"

its not a rocket ship but it gives alot of modern cars a good run for the money, if you compare it to a Focus ST, Civic type R, and many more of the newer hot hatches.

For a 16yr old VW i think its quite impressive.

Not sure about the standard ride height though, i couldn't live with that

LOL, a Focus ST would annihilate a standard VR :lol: Civics are a good match once a VR is past 4000rpm, but below that rpm, it's a slug. It just is.

Don't throw Parkers stats at me, I know exactly how quick STs are thanks and I know for a fact if I was driving one versus you in your VR, you'd lose, absolutely no question.

power to weight ratios are about the same, so are 0-60 times, 1/4 miles times are similar.

i think "slow" and "annihilate" are the wrong words

i have had no trouble keeping up and am 100% sure the foci ST's were giving it the beans.

Must be the BMC and magnex giving me all that extra performance then :!

Don't throw Parkers stats at me, I know exactly how quick STs are thanks and I know for a fact if I was driving one versus you in your VR, you'd lose, absolutely no question.

Oh Fighting talk race race lol

But you don't know that though do you? You just assume the other driver is giving it the beans. I've been in a standard ST and they feel way torquier than a standard VR does and a lot more accelerative, but.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45398[/ATTACH]

You are both from essex i was born there so must have racing blood ha ha . i think one of you should hire a st for the day and have a good old race to settle this one. Put a thread up of the results cool. I think the st would win just cos torque wins races and turbos have bags of it.

I think there was talk of a Bruntingthorpe day some time ago last time a debate like this came up. If that ever happens, I'm sure a standard ST could be found from somewhere to bring along for some benchmarking :D With the cost of fuel the way it is and the fact cars usually come off Bruntingthorpe stone chipped to hell, I can't see many takers for such an event!

There's just no way a modern 2.5T would be slower than a VR.. no matter what the Parkers stats say. The car would have to be significantly fatter / weightier to be slower.

And like many cars, it's not the BHP that'd nail you.. it's be the torque and the spread of it too... very well illustrated when we had a little VR vs Scirocco race in Germany in 2008. I was driving a new Rocco with the 2.0 TFSI (200BHP'ish) against Dom's VR with schimmel cams in it, and when we both gunned it at about 90MPH I walked away from him like he was stood still.

I'm with Kev.. The torquey motor and the much more modern chassis would make a VR look quite pathetic on the straights or in the twisties! It's always hard to admit it though... :(

very well illustrated when we had a little VR vs Scirocco race in Germany in 2008. I was driving a new Rocco with the 2.0 TFSI (200BHP'ish) against Dom's VR with schimmel cams in it, and when we both gunned it at about 90MPH I walked away from him like he was stood still.

I'm with Kev.. The torquey motor and the much more modern chassis would make a VR look quite pathetic on the straights or in the twisties! It's always hard to admit it though... :(

Not to mention the Scirocco and Focus have 6 carefully selected gear ratios to spread that torque out as much as possible. Modern turbo motors generally have superb response at any speed in any gear. The VR6 on the other hand, has a very narrow power band in comparison. The first 4000rpm do very little in comparison to the last 3000. Even VTECs feel more accelerative off cam than the VR6 does. VW really did the Corrado VR6 no favours at all with it's stupid gearing.

This is why I modded mine in the first place. Get it on the motorway in 5th at 70-80mph and it's just utterly gutless when you put your foot down. The long gearing is good for a relaxed cruise but it makes the car feel very unaccelerative.

If people genuinely think a standard VR6 is fast, I can only put that down to people's perception of speed differing enormously! :D

must be the roads and drivers then, it wasn't a precise test, just a few minutes of fun on my way to work.

what the 1/4mile time for a standard ST, has anyone run one up the strip or witnessed a time you can share?

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

This is why I modded mine in the first place. Get it on the motorway in 5th at 70-80mph and it's just utterly gutless when you put your foot down. The long gearing is good for a relaxed cruise but it makes the car feel very unaccelerative.

If people genuinely think a standard VR6 is fast, I can only put that down to people's perception of speed differing enormously! :D

i think your last sentence sums it up

i took a mate out in mine and he couldn't believe how fast it picked up from 80mph, but he has only had 1.6 astras etc.

I still think its good performance for its age, value and mileage.

Richard Hammond said "its quick, like properly quick" so that must be the truth :lol:

Not to mention the Scirocco and Focus have 6 carefully selected gear ratios to spread that torque out as much as possible. Modern turbo motors generally have superb response at any speed in any gear. The VR6 on the other hand, has a very narrow power band in comparison. The first 4000rpm do very little in comparison to the last 3000. Even VTECs feel more accelerative off cam than the VR6 does. VW really did the Corrado VR6 no favours at all with it's stupid gearing.

Agreed i find my vr is only ok in 5 after about 105 mph then its top end acceleration is alright but like said deffo more a relaxed cruise than performance car

There are some good Evo figures here..

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/221925/renaultsport_megane_dci_175_v_ford_focus_st.html

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Though controversially it does suggest the VR might either just scrape in front of or remain level pegged with the Focus..

they are pretty similar on paper. If the focus ST was any quicker it would have the RS badge.

i've only done 60,000mile in a standard VR so "i wouldn't know"

There are some good Evo figures here..

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/221925/renaultsport_megane_dci_175_v_ford_focus_st.html

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Though controversially it does suggest the VR might either just scrape in front of or remain level pegged with the Focus..

From a standing start, redline in every gear I don't doubt that. Torque is less important in that scenario, it's all about power and gearing. I suspect the Corrado's body is slipperier than the Focus's, which will help. But if you look at the incremental acceleration table in 4th, the VR6 is some way off that pace. That's the kind of torquey grunt that pulls out a big lead on a fast B road, especially out of turns.

To pull out a huge gap on someone at motorway speeds requires a schitt load of grunt, and again, the right gearing :D

I think some of this is down to the VR6's "it doesn't feel as fast as it is" syndrome. It's smooth and laid back, rather than punchy and eager. To me, it feels incredibly gutless because of where the torque comes in. So long as you're in 4th and not 5th when someone tries it on, you might stand a chance :lol:

Well it's a nice day today so I thought I would have a stab at cleaning out the rear arches. Couldn't believe the amount of crap that came out of them!

Amazingly, there only the smallest bit of surface rust on the join near the fuel filler neck (which is ultimately why I wanted to do this job in the first place). So this was Wurth rust treated, undersealed, painted and waxoiled. There was also the tiniest bit of rust starting to appear on the lip of the same arch, but it was extremely early stages and it's now like it wasn't even there :) The whole thing was finished off with a light spray of wurth cavity wax with allot more used in the joins ;)

What i'm guessing was the sunroof drain (small pipe in the OSR arch) was slightly blocked by dirt, so good job I did this when I did!

Also cleaned out the sunroof channels (not that there was much grease to remove anyway! amazed it hadn't broke yet) and lubed up with the VAG sunroof grease :)

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

Quick clean and a polish to go with the arches today. I then used a glue gun to put the window switches back it (clips lost as usual!) and also whilst I was bored decided to do something about the gaping hole in the blanking switch (obselete) from where the previous alarm had been removed. Nearly all my previous cars have had oil level sensors and luckily I had a spare VAG sticker (warning for overfill & cat etc) which fitted perfectly with a little cutting over the hole. The photo makes it look extremely bright (it's not that bad) and it's not in your line of sight whilst driving, but will be a good prompt for me to check every once in a while :)

The clean highlighted some of the paint areas that I am not happy with, the main bits being the front bumper and near side quarter panel. It's not so much the paint it's the fact they never removed the rear quarter windows, window mouldings or the front bumper. So the bits that will ultimately get painted;

- Front Bumper

- Both rear quarters and sills (with quarter windows out)

- Doors.

- Front slam panel.

Got a week off late May so it shall be done then :)

Popped down to Little Cornard Church down the road and got some pictures;

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

Right, well as some of you already know the Corrado now has a partner. An rather 'honest' Honda Accord Type R. Bought mainly to take the miles off my mint Corrado VR6 and save it from our harsh winters, but also because all of my mates are Honda boys and they finally bullied me into getting one. This is the only Honda i'd ever considering owning and is my first non-german car :)

The ATR is sooo much fun to drive and so damn practical! The recaro bucket seats are something else too!

Certainly wouldn't win any show and shine awards, but only paid £1070 last week and spent £300 on getting the rad and a few other bits like the OSR door handle replaced. So still owes me less than £1400

So basically, I own two of the highest rated front wheel drive cars ever Just need an Integra Type R and i'll complete the set ;)

LOL, I love your selective interior shot missing out the bolster wear :lol:

It does drive superb though! Get those schitty Yokohamas off and it should understeer less :D

That's a bloody good price! Always liked these. So, go on then- how do the two compare?

IMO, having thrown it around our local roads, the VR6 feels like sluggish, soggy old barge by comparison and Honday's brakes are just phenomenally strong compared to the VR6's useless anchors.

However, the VR6 feels like a typical 90s German car. It still feels just as solid now as it did 16 years ago. The Honda feels a bit fragile and past it's best if I'm honest and the VTEC motor, as ever, did nothing for me at all :lol: