Sign in to follow this  
Blondie1

Pain in the ass Idle Problem 2ltr 16v

Ok What to do? Ive had this nightmare high idle problem for several months now, a couple of mechanics have looked at it but not really helped. One plugged it into a computer and it read something about throttle body wiring, but he couldnt sort it. Anyway I got a code reader, plugged it in and it read 00516 Closed throttle body position sensor, so I thought yay simple change that. Mechanic picked the car up this morning, just phoned and said the code reader I had was a bit vague, and he thinks changing the throttle body and injection unit (whatever that is...) should sort the problem out... but this is already the 2nd throttle body on the car, my previous mechanic put a 1.8 one put on as you can adjust the idle on those, didnt really help..... So... do I stick with what the fault code reader said and just try changing the switch.... Im totally lost on what to do next :(

My guess is a wiring fault of some kind in the loom, you need either a good auto electrician to trace things or another car to swap bits over from to rule things out.

A lot of basic tests can be made on individual components, resistance on sensors, physical movement of metering unit, injector flow, pressure, spray pattern, check lambda, fuelling, ignition side of things.

physical and observational checks on wiring condition, electrical connectors.

9A engines don't have the best diagnosics and can be difficult to fix by modern methods of read code and replace items, they need more of a mechanical, systematic approach as they are so basic.

i suffered with idle probs too. Changed isv three times .throttle bodie cleaned then replaced. Still not joy. Seemed lumpy on idle.

Then had bit of luck out scrapyard and found a passat took metering head off it paid a tenner swopped it over and problem sorted. Wicked

try that mate

The search is where you need to be.........but i'll save you the stress this time :D , lots of good links in this post, if you read the 'Kangaroo' one there is a brief description of how i solved the bad idle on my old valver.........bad wiring to the throttle potentiometer(which could be similar to your fault??).....happy reading :salute:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100255&hilit=2.0+16v+idle

I have searched but I kinda get lost in it all and dont know which way to turn with it lol. Im not sure now whether to get a metering head, and a throttle body, see if that sorts it, or get someone to check the wiring....

I know how you feel........when i had the bad idle, i replaced the fuel pump, distributor, leads, metering head, throttle potentiometer(throttle positioning switch), throttle body, ignition switch.....and is still did it :bad-words: .........i found the fault by chance, the wires to the tps were burst inside the plastic coating, they looked ok but were burst inside........keep at it, you'll get there :)

Oh and most of the things i replaced before i found this forum......wish i had found it earlier :D

lol its doin my head iiiin lol. Right... think Im going to find an auto electrician, basing it on the fact that the two faults that have come up (one on computer and one on little code reader) have been throttle body wiring, and TPS.

When I had my head gasket done the other week and mentioned it to the bloke, he said he plugged somet in on the throttle body that was unplugged and he thought that would solve it, so Im guessin he meant the throttle position sensor.... clearly didnt solve it so must be fooked lol. *sigh* I hate spending money I don thave when it might not fix the problem grrr lol x

There are 2 small vaccum hoses which attach to the underside of the rubber bit that goes onto the throttle body, one comes from the side of the airbox.......it wont run well if these aren't on

the metering head is what sits on top of the air box

can stick shut or open a bit when worn

it controls the flow of petrol to injectors

check and double check every vacuum hose and joint as well as all the rubber and plastic sections and pipes that are part of or linked to the inlet system, worth squeezing the inlet hoses etc and spraying some brake or carb cleaner around them to see if it changes the idle/revs at all, if it does, the spray is getting sucked in through a leak somewhere.