Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

Mocal Oil Cooler, outstanding?

The answer to the header is quite simply YES, after fitting the kit today I was very keen to take the car out on a drive around town and hard motorway drive.

I was extremely impressed with the healthy drop in oil temperature which was on average 20C below norm.

This kit is by no means the cheapest upgrade for your Corrado but is second to none for exceptional results and mass improvement. I know this kit has been recommended on other posts but all I can say is GET THIS NOW and basically add life to your engine!

Thanks to kevhaywire once again for his customary invaluable advice, cheers mate.

Mark

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I fitted my mocal on tuesday and have been mega impressed. Again a 20 degree drop in oil temp!!!! :) :)

And I'll say it as well. Many thanks to kevhaywire for advice and info. Superb! Cheers mate!!

Dave

:D

Oh Mark. What do your water temperatures run at?? You see any change? I can't decide. I think negligible.

Good lads, glad you found a 20 deg drop. Seems to be the average with the 13 row.....and spot on :lol:

Water temp won't change as the OE HE is still in circuit and water temps are governed by the health of your cooling system, but mine never goes above 100......not even when stuck in sodding 4 hour traffic jams!

You will however notice the water temp plummet down to 75ish when you pull away and get moving again as the Mocal chills the oil, and then the water climbs back to 90 once crusing along. This is normal...

During the winter, you'll probably only see 92-94 cruising at 60.....try not to do too many short journeys at these temps. During the summer, and where the Mocal is especially useful, you will never go over 110, not even when hammering it through the gears.

One last thing.....oil changes.....you will never get that totally transparent oil on the dipstick again! This is because the mocal retains some oil when you do a change, which is then blended with the fresh oil when the stat opens, so it's important to stick with the same brand of oil. Change the oil every 6K too to ensure the Mocal doesn't retain any nasty bits of carbon etc.

K

good idea to empty the oil cooler when you do an oil change then really..

So doesn't this kit have a thermostat in it then?

my oil normally runs between 95-110 degrees when on motorway on fast back roads.. what benefit would i get from using an oil cooler??? if the engine was designed to withstand that temp, why make it cooler?

im not sure if i can fit one anyway as i have the aircon rad aswell leaving no room atall!!

Phat - It's no biggy with regular changes of the same brand oil. Just thought I'd mention it in case Mocal users were wondering why the oil is still dark after an oil change! Besides, to drain the cooler you'd need to do a lot faffing about. Shame they don't come with a purge valve or something. The sandwich plate has a thermostat in it, 80 degrees by default but you can choose your own opening temp if required. 80 is about right for most cars.

Jedi - If that's all you're getting, then don't bother. Myself, StormSeeker and a few other guys were getting silly temperatures, like 114 - 120 degrees just sitting there cruising at 80mph.....and then even higher when pressing on!

The VR6 is not DESIGNED to be a hot running engine, excess heat soak is not desirable on any engine. The temps is runs at are purely a byproduct of it's configuration and cramped working conditions. Adding a cooler keeps the oil at the optimum temperature and therefore viscosity.......oil that is TOO hot shears, leading to metal-on-metal abrasion.

K

ive got to say its the best thing ive done to my engine :)

not only is it good for vr's its helps maively with 16v and g60's best £70 i spent :) but i am thinking of upgrade to a 19 row :wink: :wink: ben lol

ah...... guess my engine is just better than yours :lol: :wink:

Mine's quieter :lol:

Thicker oil? Mocal not such a bad idea now, eh? 8)

K

ive got to say its the best thing ive done to my engine :)

not only is it good for vr's its helps maively with 16v and g60's best £70 i spent :) but i am thinking of upgrade to a 19 row :wink: :wink: ben lol

you know you want to :D only want £30 for it..

mmmm my g60 always runs about 110 - 116. Not good? so where would i get one down in devon. is there a site i can visit to have a look.?

I should stop visiting this site! i was going to keep the car standard when i bought it no chance now!!! :roll:

No seriously great site guys/girls

mmmm my g60 always runs about 110 - 116. Not good? so where would i get one down in devon. is there a site i can visit to have a look.?

I should stop visiting this site! i was going to keep the car standard when i bought it no chance now!!! :roll:

No seriously great site guys/girls

i can mail order you a kit if you cant find one locally. pm me if you need more details.

I've got an oil cooler to go on my G60, I'm told it's the same as what's on a mk1 golf - having never seen one from a mk1 golf I couldn't confirm that though. It's going on when the weather gets a little warmer. I can't be arse to lie on the cold floor to fit in the cold.

Question - when putting the adapter plate on between the engine & the oil filter, does it need any kind of gaskets? I wouldn't have thought so , but thought I'd better ask just encase.

My G60 seems to run at about 110 when crusing at about 80, and i've not yet driven it in warm weather!

Would fitting one to a g60 achieve a similar temp. drop to what the VR6 boys are getting?

Cheers,

Andy

G60DAN-if its a vag mk1part it doesn't fit properly. it hits the res box or the u bend doesn't matter which one you have. also its a 100 deg thermostat. could be used for a turbo job though.

I've just been to a farm disposal sale in Chudleigh (Devon) and spotted one amongst a tonne of landrover spares - needless to say I ahem 'rescued' it from an uncertain future :D Just lucky i guess :wink:

Re a website - just search under 'Mocal Oil Coller' on your search engine, you'll get tonnes of links 8)

For those of you VR6ers who have installed a Mocal cooler and still have your AC unit, where have you been placing it?

Or have you guys just been removing your AC?

It seems (though I could be wrong) a little cramped to put it in front of the AC (not to mention it might have an adverse effect on the radiator?).

Any info is, of course, appreciated -- thanks!

Andy T: My G60 seems to run at about 110 when crusing at about 80, and i've not yet driven it in warm weather!

AndyT,

I have a mocal oil cooler on my G60 - it only ever gets to 100 degrees if I've been sitting in traffic for a long time ! :D

On my VR6, i've seen the oil temperature go up to 126 :o I think i should get one of these oil coolers as they seem a good buy.

How easy are they to fit?

Does anyone have one for sale??

Cheers guys

Wow! 120+!!! :shock: Thats high! When I had the Highline it didn't ever get above 104. That was in the height of summer travelling for a good distance. Usually about 94 though. 8)

Wow! 120+!!! :shock: Thats high! When I had the Highline it didn't ever get above 104. That was in the height of summer travelling for a good distance. Usually about 94 though. 8)

Don't forget MK3 Golf VR6 engines enjoy more operating space than the Corrado and the 2.9 generates more heat anyway as it's slightly more powerful.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is why so many 2.9s fail at such an early age. They just run too hot, often augmented by poorly maintained coolant systems. An oil cooler is a good way to hang onto your investment for longer :lol:

K