Sign in to follow this  
jonrocks88

Bumper removal

Howdy folks, after a painful encounter with my garage door I need to remove my front bumper for some paint and re-alignment. As I have a remarkable talent for doing things the hard way I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick guide to removal.

thanks in advance. jon :D

Front bumper is quite straight forward to remove and refit.

The thing to remember is not to drive the car with the front bumper missing, it acts as additional support.

There are 2 bolts you need to remove from each side, so 4 bolts in total, leave the ones in the middle, they are effectively holding the engine up at that stage. The large bolts, 17 or 19 mm I think but cant quite remember are either side of the bolts that you need to leave in holding the crossmember in place. They are going to be tight to undo so have a breaker bar and extension at the ready and once removed, the bumper will slide forward forward, there are clips at each end of the bumper.

Just remove it slightly to undo the front indicators and spotlight wiring, or you can remove the indicators and fogs before removal.

To re fit, you can adjust the arms on the bumper iron if the bumper was not sitting correctly before and you just need to slide each side of the bumper brackets into their clips and put the bolts back and tighten.

Some people even brace the engine whilst the front bumper is removed, your call but just make sure the 2 smaller bolts each side of the crossmember are tight first. Think that covers it? Rams