DC3

VR6 fuel pump removal problem

My fuel pump has packed up and I am having difficulty removing it from the tank.

Having read several threads on this I was assuming that once I had taken off the securing ring (hammer and screwdriver job) the next part was easy. But it's not. This is a '94 VR6 and the pump body is white. I can get my hand around it but turning it anti-clockwise as instructed seems to be impossible. There is a small amount of movement (it is slightly loose) but it refuses to turn. Should I be pressing and turning, pulling and turning, or what? Is there a special tool for this, or can I improvise something? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

RW1 - I've already looked at your illustration tried to follow the instructions given (by you and elsewhere) to turn the pump but it just won't budge. I can only get one hand in the tank (and perhaps I have a weak grip!).

Thanks for getting back so quickly, though. I'll just have to persevere I guess but I've already spent over an hour strying to dislodge it. :brickwall:

Chris

Never seen a problem when was replacing my one. Just pulled it up after unscrewing black huge locking nut.

Thanks for getting back so quickly, though. I'll just have to persevere I guess but I've already spent over an hour strying to dislodge it. :brickwall:

Chris

Half guessed you might have but it also has a solution on page 4 where Critical_Mass was in the same situation .....

Weeeheeey!!!! FINALLY managed to get the pump out.

Took a bit of wobbling to begin with that, then an almighty tug and it popped off.

None of the ones I've done have been a problem. Quick turn and lift. May it has turned enough already and just needs lifting???

YES!!!

I finally cracked it (not literally). I don't know if it will be of any interest but I changed to my left hand and, somehow or other, seemed to get a better grip on the pump body and was probably coming at it from a better angle. Anyway, it suddenly shifted. Many thanks for the advice and encouragement - you guys are great.

One last thing, and then I'll leave you in peace. I've seen some fuel pumps advertised for about £100 but they appear to be just the innards - the long cylinder that fits inside the pump body. Has anybody fitted one of these and, if so, were there any problems in doing so? It would avoid having to swap the sender unit over as well as saving a few quid.

Thanks again,

Chris

What did you end up doing about this? The fuel pump on my VR's packed up. I spoke to the VW and from what i understood it was going to cost about £260 to replace because of not being able to get the original pump. Any clever solutions or is it just going to be a case of bite the bullet and pay out?

I've just been to VW to get a pump and they are discontinued now. Was £271, they ran out in 2016.

I'm sure there's a Delphi pump on Ebay for £40 ish!!??? 2b9239dca085e0cfe21263519c32215a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECP list a bosch one for £190. Drops quite a bit with a sale code. Think it's £117 this weekend.

I just worry as my pump is still the original after 230,000miles and 22yrs. It started making strange noises about 5yrs ago and was going to replace it but the noise went away.

For peace of mind I'd replace. Mine just died without making any weird noises.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So is that one on Ebay for £36 quid no good or not the right/whole thing? I need to do mine soon that's all, and I'm not spending £100+ if it's not necessary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen mine so no idea what i really need yet. But seem to end up doing jobs twice when i buy the cheapest stuff.