Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

2K to spend on my car, what to do first?

Hi All,

Got a tax rebate last week :clap: :clap: :clap: and the missus has "agreed" to let me have 2k to spend on my Storm. (big of her eh?)

Anyways the question is, where do I start? i'm tempted to have all the little dings and dents sorted followed by a full respray - only problem there is it would take all the budget plus a bit more!

Secondly I was thinking of going to DG and letting the guys give her a good overhaul and fixing every single thing they find wrong - as above might take all the monies in one go!!

what would you guys do first? I'm tempted by the DG Autotech option and if there is monies left over...maybe a little upgrade here or there...

Any other things you would get done first? TIA

I was thinking of going to DG

If i had spare cash and lived a wee bit closer......thats whad i'd do :D

TBH it currently running fine, but as with so many Corrado owners i tend to practise prevention rather than waiting for somthing to go wrong. I reckon my brakes,shoes calipers etc need looking at, it's done 95K and I try to keep on top of all the problems on a monthly basis. This is the first time I've had some decent money to spend on her and obviously I'm like a kid in a sweetshop! i see loads of ideas in the members gallery and thats my problem. Knowing what to do first and I think DG might be the way to go. I reckon they could gice her a complete overhaul and maybe have enough left over to get her mapped (sp)

Anyone had theirs done there and got any comments?

Saying that, i also see soo many gleaming Corrado's on the road and I somtmes get a little depressed looking at mine. The body had a few bubbles, a couple of trolly dings, a major stone chip and dent in the bonnet and a few marks, there is also quite a bit of rust under in the sills under the plastics.

While typing this I've also had the thought of of a decent ICE setup?

I make better decisions when i have no money!

If in general you keep on top of the maintenance then definitely do the rust first if its getting serious. There's no point making a car handle/go well if it's disintegrating in front of your eyes - it would be money wasted.

I agree with dukest, if you keep on top of general maintenance, and there is nothing seriously worng with her, then sort the rot out. However, being a pearl paint, Mystic Blue is a pain (we have a Golf in the same colour) and there are actually 3 shades of the same colour!! Any panels being repainted, will need blowing into the adjacent one, so be advised if every other panel needs paint, then a complete respray will need to be done (except maybe the roof...)

A bit of DG upgrading would be money well spent.

Not sure what you have got already in terms of upgrades but their cams and ECU have given me a much improved power delivery - more of it and lower down. I had a 288 brake conversion done so it stops a lot better than before, which is useful if you up the power. I had the original dampers replaced with bilstein B4s (retaining the original springs) and it handles and rides a lot better. That's (probably) about a grand right there in terms of parts and labour.

I also had chains and all the associated bits and bobs done but that will eat the other grand.

I agree with dukest, if you keep on top of general maintenance, and there is nothing seriously worng with her, then sort the rot out. However, being a pearl paint, Mystic Blue is a pain (we have a Golf in the same colour) and there are actually 3 shades of the same colour!! Any panels being repainted, will need blowing into the adjacent one, so be advised if every other panel needs paint, then a complete respray will need to be done (except maybe the roof...)

:censored: It's never simple is it........

As for current upgrades, there are none, it's completely OEM, well....nearly , it's been lowered by @30mm, that in part is whats tempting, but I take the point on getting the shell sorted. I'm going to a bodyshop on Saturday to get some inspection and quotes and I think I'll take it from there.....

If in general you keep on top of the maintenance then definitely do the rust first if its getting serious. There's no point making a car handle/go well if it's disintegrating in front of your eyes - it would be money wasted.

Yep perfect reason to do the body work! all the rest simply bolts on and can be done another time when funds allow.

:D

I say do the bodywork, your car works, thats good enough lol.

I'm sure you could get a good windows down job for about 1.5k, spend the rest on maintenance.

If i had 2k I'd be spending it on a re-spray and good clean up. Maybe get the engine out and treat the whole engine bay and under-seal the entire car, make her last another 15yrs :)

It may come to slightly more than 2 though...

:censored: It's never simple is it........

As for current upgrades, there are none, it's completely OEM, well....nearly , it's been lowered by @30mm, that in part is whats tempting, but I take the point on getting the shell sorted. I'm going to a bodyshop on Saturday to get some inspection and quotes and I think I'll take it from there.....

I think its the best plan. If yours wasn't a Storm then perhaps it would be more of a question, but given that the difference of Storms is basically all cosmetic, you're more likely to make your money back if you ever sold it if it has good paintwork rather than updated mechanicals

I say bodywork. You can replace mechanical items one at a time when you have a spare few hundred quid, but having £2k in your hand is the perfect opportunit for a big job like a respray