jimpy66

Dash bulb problem- anyone?

The rear screen heater button works and the screen demists. The bulb inside the switch only sometimes. It never goes on when you press it, but leave it switched on and next time you start the car, the little switch lights up. Turn it off and back on straight away- wont light up. It's so erratic, I'd swear it was Italian.

I'll need to open it up, but before I break six tabs and wreck the switch, any tips?

Tips - yep, be careful, and do it vertically when you open it. On the late style switches there are some small springs and contacts which are easy to lose (speaks from experience), and be careful when you put them back in not to force them. If you have a set of small watch makers screwdrivers the switches are easy enough to get into.

Thanks C488ADO- how are they described in Maplin? (I'm guessing they've got a few different types just maybe :? )

its much better to replace the bulbs in all of the switches with leds as the heat from the bulbs is the main cause of broken switches, maplin do 3mm 12v ready leds that dont need resistors that should be a straight swap for the bulb http://www.maplin.co.uk/components/opto ... ndard-leds

or there are plenty of other colours and ultrabright leds to choose from but they will need resistors in series with them.

I had exactly the same thing a couple of weeks back. Might be a good idea to change all your bulbs with leds whilst your at it. I changed them all to red and it looks sweet. Just be careful with those tiny springs...once you've lost one, you'll never find it again...as I found out twice!

Please can you show before and after photos - day and night? or even just after photos? my switches are shot too, and this mod could be worthwhile for me. Thanks, Mark