Sign in to follow this  
johnie72

1.8T 20v Conversion

I've decided my Corrado is too much of a nail to sell to any poor unsuspecting punter, so it's become a 'project car'. I love the power delivery of the 1.8T motor and reckon this is the way ahead. Anybody got advice for the conversion process?

It's always nice to have the facts before-hand!

Speak to the guys at http://www.designadubs.com - they do the conversions all the time. They are working on my C at the moment... re-doing the install - 1900cc, new management, all sorts, well we are talking about price at the moment :oops:

Off the top of my head you are going to need / look into the following:

Based on a straight 2wd swop:

Engine + gearbox,

If 6spd gearbox, u need a 6spd shifter,

Intercooler,

boost pipes,

Some new hoses for different uses (boost pipes, water/heater pipes, oil..)

Hose clamps,

Management,

Wiring,

Driveshafts,

bigger brakes???,

chipping cost??,

ignition barrel + clocks with use with standard ECU,

make sure you get all electronical bits with the engine as buying them new cost way too much,

engine brakets,

clutch slave cyl??,

standard brake master cyl will hit if you don't either replace it with a mk3 Golf 16 one or cut away the cam belt cover,

throttle cable,

exhaust downpipe,

think thats it?? I'm doing a 4wd conversion as well so there are other issues involved on top of these.

hope this helps..

Been out of the counrty and generally distracted for a while, but back now and project shit-box is GO GO GO. Really appreciate your advice biggerbigben. I see a skip full of previously-working Corrado in the near future.....

Just one more thing. Would you (or anyone else) have any opinions about the use of the standard ECU over the purchase of a standalone engine management system...apart from cost? I quite fancy some tasty HKS electronics to play with!

the cheapest way to do it in my opinion is to bolt a 1.8T 20v into a original G60 corrado using the 02A gearbox and brake setup along with the ECU

get yourself this Volks speed dizzy conversion kit and then a HKS fuel controller and your there

You allso nees all the bosot pipes and intercooler made up but should be fine :)