Andy T

Help! VR6 Oil buzzer on, no oil light??

Left work tonight and after five mins driving, the oil buzzer came on for a few secs, then stayed on. Pulled over and oil buzzer stopped, but started buzzing again as soon as I pulled away.

Got towed home to be on safe side, now i've noticed that the Oil light does not come on when the ignition is turned on at all. Does this sound more like a instrument cluster problem than an actual oil/sensor problem? Oil level is fine.

Have tried the search but it will only search for one 'word' now so struggling to find a similar scenario!

cheers for any advice.

Edited by Andy T

IIRC the buzzer only comes on if the oil temp hits 130c. I wouldn't imagine the oil getting that hot 5 mins after starting off. Could be a sensor or electrical problem, especially as the oil light doesn't come on. Check the connections to the sensors.

Oil buzzer comes on if there is low pressure. It's not temp dependant. The oil light should come on when the ignition is turned on. I'd definitely investigate further before trying to drive it.

Ah, thought it was only temp dependant, that''s good to know I case mine ever goes off.

Probably a good idea to check the pressure sensors at the oil filter housing then. hopefully the oil pump isn't shafted.

Just checked the instruction manual, it says that the oil buzzer will only operate above 2000rpm, that would explain why it stopped buzzing when I pulled over. I take it that that the oil light should come on at any rpm if there's a problem? I'm baffled by the lack of oil light, it was definately working last week.

Oil light should come on with ignition on, check wiring if it doesn't. Warning light should come on at about 1.6 bar and buzzer at 0.4 bar iirc - didn't know about the buzzer shutting off below 2k rpm, but would make sense so it doesn't go off with the engine off but ignition on.

If you look at the top of the oil filter housing from the front of the car, the sender on the left operates the buzzer, the one on the right operates the light.

Had a look yesterday and it looks like i've got a broken wire to the left sender, and a small leak on the right sender.

It looks tight down there for getting access to fitting the senders & sorting the wiring, any tips for access? I was thinking I might have to remove the slam panel to make room for my arms!

Cheers.

Oil light should come on with ignition on, check wiring if it doesn't. Warning light should come on at about 1.6 bar and buzzer at 0.4 bar iirc - didn't know about the buzzer shutting off below 2k rpm, but would make sense so it doesn't go off with the engine off but ignition on.

If you look at the top of the oil filter housing from the front of the car, the sender on the left operates the buzzer, the one on the right operates the light.

All fixed now :)

All three wires had broken due to corrosion, the left hand sender was loose, and the right hand one had no sealing washer!

Its quite an easy job with the drivers side headlight removed.

The wiring colours are - (looking from front of car)

Yellow wire - Left hand sender(Black) - Buzzer

Blue wire - Right hand sender (Blue) - Oil Light

Green wire - Rear (small) sender - MFA Oil temperature display