one_eyed_willy

Not starting. little oil on the plug.

any ideas appreciated.

so she decided to have some problems starting the last couple of days but got going in the end and was driving fine until today when she woulnt start at all, ended up draining the battery which was fooked anyway.

picked up a new battery and still not starting, turns over and sounds like she wants to go.

there is a spark from all leads. So started pulling the plugs and there is a little and i mean very little on a couple of the plugs where the thread ends. But all are quite black.

I can smell fuel so pretty sure theres not a problem there.

change the plugs first or anything else i can check?

thanks for any help.

Same happened to me with fairly new plugs, smell of fuel etc. Turned out to be a sh*te coilpack, put the old original one back (with cracks all over it) and she started first time with another set of plugs. Think they were fouled up from it not starting and keep cranking over.

Get rid mate, get some Bosch or better still some NGKs. Note the Lupo - misfiring thread of mine, i put champion plugs in (i knew they were ****, but its all i could get at the time), replaced with Bosch not long after and there was a noticable difference.

Though i wouldnt say they would cause the car not to start. What engine is it, VR6?

ok, update.

taken the afternoon off to have a better look in daylight.

First thing is ive changed the plugs, no different.

but what ive noticed is when turning the ignition the engine turns over maybe twice, then just the starter motor spins. Even if i start again the engine wont turn just the starter motor.

Anyone know if the starter can spin without it being engaged with the fly wheel?

Sounds like the starter motor is at fault. Maybe worth giving it a tap with a hammer??

the starter has a small clutch under the pinion and if this does not throw the gear out the starter will turn without engaging the flywheel. You could remove the starter, clean and lube up the spindle and you'll be ok

If you think the starter is at fault how about a push start and see if that gets the engine running?

yeah hopefully gonna try that at the weekend when i can get some help to push. Damn rain better have stopped by then.

got it sorted.

gave G-werks a call monday darren came out just after lunch.

was a mixture of flooded engine, being damp and crappy spark plugs that were init before hand. also said that it needs a good run, as the missus uses's it and only drive 1 and half miles to work everyday is not great.

feel a bit stoopid as i shoulda got it going really, but darren does his job and sorted me out :)

moral of the story? G-werks rule :)