AlgarveVR6

Coilovers. Muppet, missing a brain

OK. Installing coilovers. Thunderstorm started mid flow, but not before fitting first one, and lowering off the jack. Middle of new suspension unit cames straight thru the bush at the top. What have I done ??

Missed something. Part missing, being a muppet

Thoughts and comments appreciated, and I'll take all the idiot gags, so long as I can sort it.

Thank you peoples

Dic (Yes, do that one as well if it makes you feel better)

What do you mean the middle of suspension. Are you referring to the actual strut or just the threaded rod?

The coilovers should have a a cone metal piece ontop of the coilover spring. If its the fronts, you'll then have the donut shaped bearing, there's then a nut that holds the bearing. Then there's a rubber topmount that sits ontop of the bearing - the top mount butts up to the body of the car.

Again assuming its the front, under the bonnet, you'll then have the top plate with another nut ontop of that.

If its the rear, you'll again have the cone shaped piece on top of the spring, with a nut holding this down and then a rubber top mount (no bearing). Then inside the car a series of nuts and a top plate and top rubber mount.

You'll prob have to take the coilover off and check everything i back on in the correct order

still confused, but many thanks

It's the centre of the strutt that comes thru. with the nut on it. The cone ontop of the springs stays below, as does the rubber bush

I'm missing something, but cant think what.

unit should be in ascending order ??

leg

springs

cone ontop of the springs

nut ?

rubber bush

cap

nut

is that right ?

Thanks for all the help again

donut shaped bearing. Is this on the old leg ?

still confused. (Bloody hell I'm thick today. Must have been the vino last night, or was it the beer)

ok. normality has been restored. Brain now at higher function level.

Joe, you were right. Missing the bearing from the top of the old unit. ho hum......

Does anyone else suffer the drivers side wheel pulling in after lowering.

Almost like the whole hub has been pulled in. I understand it's to do with the steering geometry.

I know its gonna need an alignment, but I remember my wifes old 16v did the same when we lowered that.

Thoughts ??