Twiss

A Technique on removing Bonnet Sound Proofing Pads.

After much research on the forum on removing the sound proofing pads from the bonnets and not being able to find a suitable way on getting that bloody glue off, I thought I would share a Technique I have found to work really well. No I didn't set it on fire !!!

First I removed as much of the old foam using a sharp plastic scapper.

Secondly I then used Methylated spirits with the plastic scapper to remove whats left of the foam.

Then to remove the Glue I used Nail Vanish remover, this was applied by spraying the surface of the glue then letting it soak in for a minute. After a min I used the plastic scrapper to scrape off the glue . using the nail varnish and scrapper repeatedly until all the glue was removed.

I had removed 90% of the glue in about 45min's.

After this I degreased the bonnet and then polished it ready for the new pads to be put on.

It was cheap nail varnish I used and a large bottle only cost me £1.20 I think...

As a word of advice not best to use the other halfs nail varnish remover they don't seem to like that :)

also, if trying to remove it whilst the bonnet is still on the car then cover the engine bay with a large sheet.

I used something from homebase to remove the glue, never tried nail varnish but nice job Twiss

nail varnish remover is just acetone watered down with a bit of fragrance. its not greasy like white spirit - thinners and evaporates so it's great for cleaning and degreasing. so no need really to use an extra degreaser.....

thanks for the tips

Edited by delfinis38

Generally folk remove it because it goes tatty and looks unsightly but if you read the first post he is intending to refit some new ones :)

Just wish you could still get it for an early bonnet. :(

I used glue thinners and it came off very easily indeed. Soaking is the key though. Definitely cover the engine with some stout cardboard as already mentioned though because thinners can attack some plastics. It doesn't attack the Corrado's paint though.

I Thought I better mention that my bonnet is an early type and I bought the replacement pads from VW cost me £100. I was told when I got my set that their are only 7 Sets left in the UK. :) Thats was about 2 weeks ago (25/01/2011 roughly)

EDIT = I was wrong about how many mk1 bonnet sound deadening pads left as today I went to unpack the pads I bought and fit them to find they are for a mk2 Bonnet. Damn Damn Damn....... oh well I'll put them up for sale in the sale section.

Edited by Twiss