Should the CF strive to minimise the number of Stickied Threads?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CF strive to minimise the number of Stickied Threads?

• Yes
    • No
    • Mmmmm sticky, honey-glazed Ham

Can I ask the mods to have a little trawl through all the stickies on the fora and thin them out a little bit? Reasons for my request as follows:

1) Some are simply old and out of date, for example the 2010 Scotland Trip thread in events section

2) On a number of the fora you have to scroll though quite a few sticky threads to get to the stuff that's moving

3) I honestly believe that the sheer number of stickies is contributing at least in part to the slowdown in posting on here. Whilst the info in stickies is useful to those who want it, it reduces the numbers of questions on some of the technical forums.

That might be desirable to some, but I think it's slowly strangling the forums. Others may well disagree but nonetheless I don't think we need quite as many "sticky" threads as we currently have.

Thanks for listening :)

John

Get rid of them all I say.

I'm not taking the **** either John, I just rarely see the point in them. If a topic needs to be seen, it probably will be as it's active and, therefore, near the top of the page anyway. Or an important topic gets found because someone searches for the related answer.

Forum announcements and general forum things should perhaps be the only sticky items.

Edit: What? I can't even say the word p1ss? The world's gone mad!

Ok here's another thought about it.

Say for example there's a "sticky" thread about induction kits. A new forum user is going to just read it without posting anything. Although some might argue that a sticky thread accumulates everything there is to know about the subject, I could argue that is just the kind of subject a new user might want to ask about, and we're kinda denying them that opportunity, so all the new threads seem to be about really unusual stuff simply because all the mainstream questions in the engine and drivetrain forums are stickied.

And we need to encourage people to post a bit. Us existing users should encourage new posting a bit by answering these kinds of posts, even if it's well trodden ground, and not just cut them off by referring to old lengthy threads (with the inference that they should just search rather than ask)

But that's just my opinion. I'd be interested to know what others think about it.

john

Corozin's points are very valid. I do believe they serve a good purpose, but not all of them. Perhaps limit them to 5 per sub section. Then after a month of minimal activity they could then be dropped into 'normal' threads. I dont know if that's possible though, not understanding all this php stuff....

like it :D, cant you put thinks like "the What air filter" and so on in the wiki, and leave the forum for discussions, Q&A and so on, like the "And we need to encourage people to post a bit." as the forum does seem quiet lately, be nice to get the flow back again.

believe it or not I have been through and removed quite a few in the last few months, but then I've also turned a few threads into new ones so its probably all balanced out :). and its been said before that the new forum software possibly has less info per page by default than previously.

so, in terms of keeping the forum going by stimulating new discussion then yes, i think good idea. personally i think the wiki needs to be leaps and bounds better maintained before people will start regularly using it so would be reluctant to move stuff there until it is. lastly, well maybe i'll just stop there :)

believe it or not I have been through and removed quite a few in the last few months, but then I've also turned a few threads into new ones so its probably all balanced out :). and its been said before that the new forum software possibly has less info per page by default than previously.

so, in terms of keeping the forum going by stimulating new discussion then yes, i think good idea. personally i think the wiki needs to be leaps and bounds better maintained before people will start regularly using it so would be reluctant to move stuff there until it is. lastly, well maybe i'll just stop there :)

Whats wrong with the wiki???, i thinks its fine just need more in it.

not wanting to make a big deal of it but among other things i dont think its obvious enough that people should look in it, nor does its content get returned in searches you might do on the forum.

its not that i dont think its worth having but it needs to be linked to left, right and centre and made simple to update or at least have guides or someone in charge of it to do update from submissions if they are not easy themselves.

just my view though, i'd be very happy if others dont agree and think its a well used resource.

not wanting to make a big deal of it but among other things i dont think its obvious enough that people should look in it, nor does its content get returned in searches you might do on the forum.

its not that i dont think its worth having but it needs to be linked to left, right and centre and made simple to update or at least have guides or someone in charge of it to do update from submissions if they are not easy themselves.

just my view though, i'd be very happy if others dont agree and think its a well used resource.

Sounds fair, how much time and effort would it take to resolve the wiki problem, as i believe it would streamline the forums!!.

its an ongoing discussion tbh. probably will be got to once the new software issues have all been resolved.

well if you need an extra pair of hands, ill be more than happy to help, as im on the site most days :). Im sure a few others wouldn't mind helping either.

How about a stickies section of the forum split into appropriate setions to complement the knowledge base, this would retain the stickies but free up the main forum. It would act a little like an archive

both helpful suggestions, thankyou. we'll take them on board the next time the issue gets to be discussed in a bit more detail amongst the admins/mods.