Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

AmD price hike!!!

Just been looking at the AmD site.

the costs have all gone up, now £350 plus VAT for a re-chip! was £250 plus VAT when i last checked...thats quite some price hike!

bar stewards..

I think he was being sarcastic.. :)

I don't know how they justify a price hike that great when its the same bloody job you are having done.. and its hardly like AmD are short of business or something. Especially now they are covering so many different cars...

Pretty lame really.

i know it was a sarcastic comment...i just am a bit annoyed at the price rise. i was gonna get the chip done when i had the cash, looks like i wont have the cash for a whil now...infact i dont think i fancie paying that much for a re-chip full stop!

Not funny that there AMD price thing as i need one when i put a smaller pulley on :-(

Thing is Vince said take about £500 with me for the re-map at his place(Stealth)

Chris

Not funny that there AMD price thing as i need one when i put a smaller pulley on :-(

Thing is Vince said take about £500 with me for the re-map at his place(Stealth)

Chris

He uses a piggy-back system which is more money. I Don't like piggy back systems as you have to hack into the MAF sensor loom. Vince would spend more time on the rollers than AmD would though......and his rollers are known to accurate. AmDs are known to be optimistic.

AmD are now focusing on newer machinery, such as Minis, R32s etc so old Volkswagens are small fry to them....hence whacking up the prices to make them seem more exclusive. I don't know how they justify £350 or how Stealth justify £500 to be honest. A blank Eprom costs about a fiver.....so AmD are basically charging us up to £300+ for 2-3 hours labour?

K

so are there any other companies around that will do just a good a job as AmD...for the price AmD used to charge??

vr6storm has had the chip done, i wonder if he would say its still worth it even at the extra price?

I belive Star Performance do the same service and the guys up there are praised by all the people that I hear from. Thats for thoes in the North.

I was gonna go to AMD for the chip when I had the cash, as i've heard good things about the it, but I don't think I will now, just on principle :roll:

unfortunately i dont think its going to be a case of *if we dont go they will lower the price again* because (as kev pointed out) the vr6 is small fry now...they moved onto bigger and better things. :(

I never thought they would, if they've moved into a bigger market then they're not going to be too bothered to lose us, thats where the principle comes in :wink:

kevhaywire,

It was using Stealths rollers but Jeff from AmD was doing it!

Charged VRs don't like piggyback eproms so much and the job would be to use a straight eprom on to the board.

Chris

kevhaywire,

It was using Stealths rollers but Jeff from AmD was doing it!

Charged VRs don't like piggyback eproms so much and the job would be to use a straight eprom on to the board.

Chris

What's wrong with AmD's rollers?

Of course the prices have been the same for at least 5 years, so no surprise that they've gone up.

If you look at the chip upgrades they've offered for Porsche, Audis and Minis, the VR6 chip is still pretty good value really, and let's face it - who else will do you a chip that good even at £350?

Agree it's a bit of a steep increase in one jump tho'

John

vr6storm has had the chip done, i wonder if he would say its still worth it even at the extra price?

my only complaint with my AmD chip is that my RR figures aint shot up at all on subsequent RR runs............but then again the car does seem to pull harder up to the rev limiter.........tho must admit i wouldnt pay what they are asking now :shock:......

If you look at the chip upgrades they've offered for Porsche, Audis and Minis, the VR6 chip is still pretty good value really, and let's face it - who else will do you a chip that good even at £350?

Yeah but Porsche and Audi management is in a different league to the VR6's. It costs anything from £400 to £1000 to chip a Scooby as a different, but related example. So yes, £350 is good value in comparison to the other cars but it's still a rip-off for what it is a simple job and what you get out of it.

It's priced high enough to make you think you're getting a lot for your money and low enough to be in reach of people aspiring to Supercharging etc. It's just marketing and if their rollers are anything to go by when I had my 16V Turbo dyno'd there, they are way off.

K

What's wrong with AmD's rollers?

As someone said earlier, AmD's are said to be optomistic & Stealths are better calibrated & more accurate! Who's to know?

Vince said he could get Jeff over to do the job as he did for Guy's VR, don't know what to do for the best :?

Chris