C5 OEM

vr6 auto

My mates looking at buying a vr6 auto and was wondering whats the deal with converting to manual.

Is it worth doing and the costs involved

Can be done but as you well know "at a cost".

Gearbox, Pedal box, Trim to name a few parts

Have a look at C488ADO s thread. He changed from Auto to Manual and added a guide as well.

Personally I would/wouldn't change the gearbox based on use.

I.e. If I was sat in traffic a lot, I'd keep the auto. If it was for leisure time/weekend use I'd have the manual.

Edited by James.

its not too diffilcut to do, but best to get all the bits from a donor car rather than try and collect them separately. Doable over a couple mof weekends. You're quite adept so would not have much of a problem. Have a look at my build thread for any input. I took a fair few pics so if you need any let me know. Thast said, my auto was brilliant, really smooth, lazy driving and excellent for traffic. But i just hankered after a manual and mine only had about 60k miles on it hence the conversion.

hmmmmm yes the auto is quite a good deal really, most are well looked after, check out the box history, they can be a bugger i.e not really changing when you want them to but thats old auto's for you, i was pleased with mine and returned 36 mpg most of the time but then i never really thrashed mine, having said that when you do give it some beans they dont change gear until the red line!!!!

the conversion now ive done it is quite straight forward and would give someone a hand if they wanted to do another one not something id like to do on my own again but with another pair of hands and a laugh or two providing you had all the bits it could be done in a couple days

on the mfa but was very accurate went all the way to praha and back in the vr last year and total trip returned 35.4 mpg worked out properly the mfa said 33.2mpg total trip so all in all not bad..

i live in torquay and work in newton abbot .......7 miles

takes 45 minuets to do the route in the morning in those circumstances usually 26-31 mpg on the mfa

lowest ive seen is 24mpg which isnt bad even short runs to cullompton 27 miles i get 34-36 mpg on the mfa