G_Dub

One headlight is dim

Just noticed this the other day so changed the main big bulb. But it's still the same. Had a quick check of the wiring connections and all seems fine. I'm probably being an idiot but does anyone have any suggestions?

Both lights look the same when on sidelights but the passenger side headlight is dimmer when on main headlights. Is it me being stupid and there's some other bulb that comes on when the main full headlights are on?

Looks like you could well have a degraded headlamp reflector in the nearside unit. This is of course working on the basis that the bulbs, wiring, and connectors are all ok. In daylight conditions look at the headlight reflectors and check that the "chrome" silverering Finnish is clean and bright. Not worn or appearing yellow.

You most likely have a worn relector in the nearside headlight, if indeed all other elements have been checked. Ie bulbs, wiring, and connections.

Do you have an uprated headlight loom??

No just standard.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the reflector one evening this week now we're getting some daylight back.

Edited by G_Dub

I did get around to doing this. I checked the reflector and it all seems fine. I checked the fuse and it had blown so I changed it and the light came on fine...for about 10 seconds and then went off completely. Checked and the fuse had blown again within seconds. I'd replaced it with the same rated fuse as the one that had blown.

I've since had the battery out so I could check the wiring that runs underneath it but it all looks fine as far as I can see, no splits in any of the wires. I replaced the fuse again and it blew straight away so I'm a bit stumped again now. Luckily I don't have to drive it in the dark at the moment so it's not causing me any problems but it's MOT time next month so I'll need to try and get this sorted before then.

Any suggestions would be of help.

In the pic, are you on dipped beam or full beam?

Right headlight looks like it's on full beam, left headlight on dipped beam (though it's hard to tell properly from the pic)

If it's the full beam, then a cheeky trick may be to replace the fuse before the MOT, and then don't use the lights until the day. When checking the lights, the tester will only flash onto main beam for a couple of seconds, so the fuse may hold for that long!

Thanks for the reply. In the picture they're on dipped beam.

I'm gonna have another play around this weekend but that cheeky trick idea could work as a last resort.

Aaaargh! This is driving me crazy now. I've had the passenger side light fitting apart and all the connections inside look fine. I noticed as well that the high beam flasher is not working on the passenger side either. I tried plugging in the drivers side cluster into the passenger side connector fully expecting it to work fine as I was assuming the problem was inside the cluster. But it's exactly the same. Only the little side light works and the main beam doesn't work at all. Not only that but it had blown fuse 1 again when trying it with the drivers side cluster. And also, I had replaced fuse 11 which is the high beam passenger side and after testing with the drivers side cluster in the passenger side it had again blown. So now I'm back to square one AND I'm totally out of 10amp fuses!!

*UPDATE*

I won't post yet another reply to my own message but will just add this update. I asked my dad (retired BT engineer old school) to help me do some tests with the voltmeter. The black and white wire going to the passenger headlight connector seemed to be showing some earth which my dad thinks it shouldn't be. We snipped the wire and established that this earth was coming not from the light end. No visible problems with the cable itself. He then had a theory that the high beam bulb in the dash could be causing the problem so I checked that and although it seems to have blown and I will have to replace I'm still left with the same problem. When you turn the main lights on it blows fuse 1. If you try to high beams it blows fuse 11. Am going to get the number from a friend at work who's brother in law in an auto electrician. Hopefully he will sort this as we're fresh out of ideas.

Edited by G_Dub