jimbobbalooba

ARB fouling on wishbones :(

Due to a house move, I've had to prematurely put the front wheels back on so I can push the car, thankfully I've already restored the front cross member and suspension etc! Either way, I've noticed that the Anti Roll Bar fouls on the wishbones...(see attachment).

The arrow points to roughly where the fouling occurs (same on both sides). I'm sure that the ARB doesn't hang below the wishbone and the lug where it attaches to the wishbone is pointing down so I don't know what's wrong. Could the ARB be upside itself?? Please help as I have to sort this quickly! (and it's bloody heavy dropping the cross member each time to change things around! :()

Thanks for any help

Jim

If you completely removed the ARB during your refurb you may have installed it upside down. Had mine off the car today and noted that it does go back only one way round.

Hope it's not the case.

Good luck.

Most likely the wrong way up dude but also check the drop links are correct as GSF often supply thenwrong ones which are not offset

Nightmare. So I originally thought the ARB was upside down, changed it, thought better of it and put it back to how it was and in fact, it was upside down. Damn, I'm gonna have drop that cross member again :( , hope it fixes the problem.

Actually... before I do, when looking at the front of the car (crouching down and looking underneath) should I be seeing the ARB with a U shape in the middle or should it be the other way up?

Thanks again

Jim

You should be seeing a U shape, the bend should be pointing down.

eh? :scratch: I thought the arb was flat across the middle of the car and then the ends came out and up and over the top of the wishbones, it does lok very similar but the ends should curve up and over so 'n' rather than 'u' shaped.

I guess you mean looking from the front of the car, the side pieces would raise up, but then you can make it look like that even with the arb upside down?

eh? :scratch: I thought the arb was flat across the middle of the car and then the ends came out and up and over the top of the wishbones, it does lok very similar but the ends should curve up and over so 'n' rather than 'u' shaped.

I guess you mean looking from the front of the car, the side pieces would raise up, but then you can make it look like that even with the arb upside down?

When I remvoed my ARB I noted that the bend in the centre was the low point and the outer sections raised up from this point as you look at it off the car from the front.

Thinking about your statement that the ARB should be flat across the middle when on the car, this would coinside with the U shape when the ARB is off the car. When the raised ends are resting on the floor the centre section would be pointing down and forward (U shape).

So this would mean that if the centre section was pointing down when on the car then the ARB must be upside down as the ends have had to be lowered to reach the wishbones.

Hope that makes sense :)

Edited by mr.ots

Thinking about your statement that the ARB should be flat across the middle when on the car, this would coinside with the U shape when the ARB is off the car. When the raised ends are resting on the floor the centre section would be pointing down and forward (U shape).

So this would mean that if the centre section was pointing down when on the car then the ARB must be upside down as the ends have had to be lowered to reach the wishbones.

Hope that makes sense :)

lol! I'll take a look at the weekend; think I need to be actually looking at this when reading your description. Thanks so much for your help though; I'll let you know how I get on.

Jim

lol! I'll take a look at the weekend; think I need to be actually looking at this when reading your description. Thanks so much for your help though; I'll let you know how I get on.

Jim

I had a look at my ARB today which is off the car and as davidwort said it should be flat in the centre when fitted the correct way up. If it is upside down the centre section would be pointing down towards the ground as this would be rotated downward in order for the droplinks to reach the wishbones, this way round the ARB will foul the wishbones.

If your centre section is pointing down at the moment (U shape) then the ARB is upside down as it should be straight.

When I previouly said it should be U shaped, this is with the ARB off the car and the ends (droplink ends) touching the ground.

I had a look at my ARB today which is off the car and as davidwort said it should be flat in the centre when fitted the correct way up. If it is upside down the centre section would be pointing down towards the ground as this would be rotated downward in order for the droplinks to reach the wishbones, this way round the ARB will foul the wishbones.

If your centre section is pointing down at the moment (U shape) then the ARB is upside down as it should be straight.

When I previouly said it should be U shaped, this is with the ARB off the car and the ends (droplink ends) touching the ground.

In which case that's my problem. Mine is definitely upside down. I'll change it yet again and take photos for the future wiki!

Thanks for the help guys!

Jim

I refitted the wishbones and ARB today. When the ARB goes back on the slight angle on the ends should point downwards.

I was amazed at how different the car drives, feels so much more solid up front. Just need to get the alignment done now and then see how well she drives with the new R32 bushes. :)

In which case that's my problem. Mine is definitely upside down. I'll change it yet again and take photos for the future wiki!

Thanks for the help guys!

Jim

Still not right. I took it off and turned it up the other way and it's even worse. It must have either been correct and just not sitting right because of the lack of engine (although I'm sceptical that this was the case) or something else is wrong. The wishbones are on the correct sides with the ARB tabs pointing down so I really don't know what the issue is. For the moment I've just detached the droplinks and let it hang down so that I can move the car. I'll have to investigate it further when I get a chance.

Any ideas welcome.

Jim

I don't think the lack of the engine is your problem. Even with the suspension at the full length of it's travel the ARB shouldn't touch the wishbone.

As I mentioned in my last post, the slight angle at both ends of the ARB should point downwards. If yours are then it's fitted the correct way up.

I don't think the lack of the engine is your problem. Even with the suspension at the full length of it's travel the ARB shouldn't touch the wishbone.

As I mentioned in my last post, the slight angle at both ends of the ARB should point downwards. If yours are then it's fitted the correct way up.

I'll check that later today if I get a chance. If it was (or is) in the right way up and it's still fouling the wishbones, what else can it be??

To double check -

1. The ARB tabs on the wishbones point downward - yes

2. The droplink point upwards when attached to these tabs, pushing the ARB up above the wishbones - yes (that is deffo right isn't it?)

Anything else to check? They are new aftermarket wishbones; would it be them that are faulty? I made the stupid mistake of dumping the old wishbones ages ago so I can't check them against old ones.

Anything else to check?

Thanks

Jim

Yes the tab points down and the ARB links to it from above.

Can you get some pics up?

If I get a chance next weekend I will but for the moment I've left the ARB hanging down. I just need to be able to push the car to the new house in a month then I can strip it down again properly and sort the issue. It wouldn't be so bad if the metal ARB bush fixings weren't so damned hard to attach! Holding them down so that you can get the bolt in is really difficult.

I'll let you know when I can get some pics up,

Cheers again for the help.

Jim

Hey Jim

How did you get on? I had my subframe and ARB power coated a few weeks ago and refitted last week. I also installed it upside down and then changed it around. I now have a new issue where the ARB is touching the exhaust. I'm stumped :(

Edited by davebirl

Sorry to raise this one again but I'm still unhappy about this. I've been looking at some old pictures of the Rado whilst taking it to pieces and found a picture which kind of confirmed my suspicions. I think I have bought the wrong replacement arms. If you look at the attachment it shows that the drop link is horizontal and attaches to the top of the arm; the link is also a lot shorter? Whereas the arms I bought and we've discussed in the past have taps which hang down and attach to the links. What the hell is going on? Please help somebody :(

Please remember this is a VR6!

Thanks in advance

Jim

hi mate did you sort this problem.my arb touches my wishbones and that could be my knocking sound when i go over bumps

been searching for this answer today, found my old pics, thought i'd share in case it helps anyone out.

pic i took when subframe was removed

2012-04-07172825.jpg

the same arb before being fitted.

2012-06-06102505.jpg

not worked it out yet though