kevn

VR6 engine support

Right i am about to do my sons steering rack, i have use of a proper support beam, what i need to know is, where on the vr6 engine are the mounting points for hooks to support the motor?

I have done a search on here but cant find the answer.

TIA Kev

Diagonally across cyls 1 and 6 you will find metal hoops for attaching lifting gear. If they're not there, someone has removed them.

Thanks kevhaywire, i dont recall seeing any hooks, presumably i can bolt other hooks on there, we have assorted ones in the workshop.

Thanks 3corsameal, i have been home for lunch and had a look, they are there, a bit tucked away though, no wonder i didnt remember seeing them.

Next dumb question, i thought i would crack off the engine mounting bolts in preperation for getting stuck in at the weekend, anyhow i have read the G60 rack removal guide in the KB, it says there are three 13 mil bolts to undo, this VR6 has only two which i have cracked off only to turn a half turn then tighten again, i guess this is just corrosion on the protruding part of thread, i have left them soaking with Rost off, my question is, the only other bolt is the one right on top of the mounting, this is a 16 mil though, but does this bolt need to be removed to get the mounting off?

Sorry about the long winded lead up to the question, but i thought it best to try and explain the whole story.

Ok, i think my last post maybe doesn't make sense, i have now got the engine supported and i have removed the bolts on top of the rear engine and gearbox mounts.

Will this now enable me to drop the subframe clear?

In answer to my question, taking the two bolts from the top of the mounts does allow the subframe to drop clear, i have been following the guide in the kb, i know that was on a G60 but most of the sizes of the bolts is totally different on the VR6.