harryc

Mk4 rear calliper and hand brake line install

As per title, i've seen a good guide on fitting new rear discs and bearings but nothing on fitting mk4 rear callipers and hand brake lines. Can someone point me in the direction of one please?

Right I've removed the rear discs and put together the new disc and bearings. Think i'll put together a guide for new discs, bearings, mk4 callipers and hand brake lines in case anyone else is interested.

Defo mate keep me informed just what ive been thinking about doing,nows it getting lighter later

Quick heads up, i bought the mk4 handbrake lines and they do NOT match up at the handbrake end. Rado cables have a threaded end, the mk4 items do not. I also discovered the mk4 carriers will not work with the corrado carrier bolts and the dust shield needs modifying (hitting with a hammer). Will do a full write up soon.

I thought you didn't need to use the mk4 carriers? You just fit the calipers and thats the end of it, could be very wrong though. Interested in this thread as I've just bought a pair of mk4 calipers. When buying secondhand calipers, would people recommend refurbing them? The rubbers and seals etc.

One of my rubber dust seals was buggered so i changed the pair for genuine vag ones, the seals come with a lubricant which they need to be soaked in for 45 mins before fitting and makes installation far simpler.

Yeah the mk4 callipers fit straight on the rado carriers and handbrake cable.

how did the caliper install go? just brought a raddo vr6 and deffinatly need to sort the rear calipers out, the handbrake mech is bolloxed, fairly easy swap? how was the brake lines? noticed mines got goodridge braided lines but the ends are realy badly corroded so they need replaceing anyway,

you need different hoses to fit the mk4 calipers(banjo fittings),its a straight bolt on onto the corrado carriers though. As said you reuse corrado handbrake cables,either originals or new corrado items

Mine came from a bora, any mk4 ones, its worth noting the state of the dust seals unless you want to replace them any way (I did as one was ripped)

Looking forward to seeing the guide. Sounds like my summer mod is sorted now unless I get a cheap 24v :)

What sort of benefits does this offer? I imagine the Mk4 calipers offer better performance? Are the discs the same size?

J

Same size discs. The callipers are much less likely to seize and my handbrake is much more effective.

It is a very good upgrade, you can use the handbrake reliably on inclines and it will hold firm with ease. The caliper is a far better design.

As for the "are the mk4 calipers all the same?". They aren't in my experience. I bought a pair of second hand mk4 calipers supplied with new Goodridge kit off a guy on ebay. I ordered new seal kit for BigRed on this assumption and the 38mm seals did not fit the pistons. I had to have 41mm seals to suit the pistons.

The eBay seller could not confirm what car they came (think he was a breaker making up these upgrade kits). BigRed said that from some of the coding I gave them from the caliper they came from either and Octavia or Golf Estate.

The 41mm seal kit worked a treat and now so do the brakes.

Right so mk4 calipers, standard vr handbrake cables,and do u just use the mk4 flexi hose and does that mate up with the standard fitting on the car .......do u defo need the carriers also or can the vr ones be used in guys

Edited by shaunVR6

VR6 rear calliper carriers are retained in the conversion and will accept MK4 rear callipers. The flexible hoses from the Mk4 can be used at a pinch. But they come as a flexible hose and metal pipe attatched to each other so not a

Ideal as you would need to partially re-shape the metal pipes to fit the Corrado rear beam. Best plan is to use either Passat 3B rear banjo hoses and banjo bolts, or buy Goodridge braided conversion hoses from companies like Venom Motorsport and these come with banjo bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted the mk4 calipers yesterday with Goodridge braided hoses, original carriers, new carrier bolts, mk4 pads and new VR discs. Everything fitted a treat but we need to bleed the whole brake system as its got a very spongy pedal at the moment. Hope a system bleed will sort that out. Any thoughts on something else that could cause this spongy feel?

VR6 having a spongy brake pedal post works, which involve opening the hydraulic system, is a common phenomenon. Given that you have thoroughly bled out the system with fresh fluid, confirmation of this will be if the brake pedal does not "pump up", then you can try bleeding out the master cylinder this sometimes works. If not, and all else is as it should be, then careful use of the car will see the normal pedal response return after a week of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that help. Its weird, I can hear the brake fluid whoosh around the abs pump area, its audible. Didn't hear it before the change over.

I fitted the mk4 calipers yesterday with Goodridge braided hoses, original carriers, new carrier bolts, mk4 pads and new VR discs.

Matt i think i need to change the rear calipers on my 95 Vr6, did you buy new calipers etc, if so could you tell me where about you bought stuff and approx costs for all this plz?

Matt i think i need to change the rear calipers on my 95 Vr6, did you buy new calipers etc, if so could you tell me where about you bought stuff and approx costs for all this plz?

Hi mate,

I bought the mk4 calipers off the forum here for £49 delivered. TPS for gen VW discs £14 each! TPS for ABS rings £11 each. TPS for bearings £18 each. TPS for pads £20ish. TPS for carrier bolts, £2 for 4. Amazon.co.uk for the Goodridge hoses £28 delivered.

Hope it helps you.

Can anyone tell me the Pagid part number for MkIV rear pads?

Are they T5075 (53 x 87 x 17.2 mm)?

Would T5022 (53 x 87 x 15.2 mm) be OK, assuming the caliper piston would take up the missing 2 mm?

I ask because I have a spare set of T5022 for the original Corrado rear calipers.

They'll fit any Corrado as all the rear brakes are the same. Just be sure to use the Corrado carriers and job's a good'un :)

Hi mate,

I bought the mk4 calipers off the forum here for £49 delivered. TPS for gen VW discs £14 each! TPS for ABS rings £11 each. TPS for bearings £18 each. TPS for pads £20ish. TPS for carrier bolts, £2 for 4. Amazon.co.uk for the Goodridge hoses £28 delivered.

Hope it helps you.

Nice details for anyone planning on the conversion.