Alex_G60_Fanatic

Grit Blasting company give me the finger...

You need a serious compressor to clean up stuff that's not alloy... and as said above the mess it makes is horrendous!

It's a nice to have but I'd keep looking for a local company that can do it - a place near me doesn't mind what you give them and is very reasonable on price.

You need a serious compressor to clean up stuff that's not alloy... and as said above the mess it makes is horrendous!

It's a nice to have but I'd keep looking for a local company that can do it - a place near me doesn't mind what you give them and is very reasonable on price.

Why didn't you tell me that earlier... as in before i spent £40 on a air gun! I bought it btw because every local company I rang gave me the finger so I might as well give it a go now. I'll let you all know how I get on!

Sorry mate, onlyu just seen this... what Comp do you have?

I have one that is 8.5 CFM and it's fine for most stuff but not sand blasting big things - you need a CFM of 10-12 min

got one that produces 116psi max pressure and 8.5cfm @ 40psi... That should be ok. This gun is designed to work with 7cfm @ 30... the reason I chose it. The trick is getting the media to draw as this isn't a gravity feed type gun.

The grit is the important bit anyway, the harder the particles and the smaller they are the more abasive they will be... you actually wont to use the lowest preasure and air flow you can get away with (as high flows increase wear on the nozzle) so... If this fails I'll use a different media before i completely give up :)

As for the mess, Ill be doing it in next doors drive way :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I expect it will take ages and make a mess... but if i save money that's all that matters, i need to save for my list!

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44782-Alex-s-G60-Mistress-IT-S-ALIVE!

Trouble with doing it outside is you can't recycle the media as it will get damp and clog the gun... make sure you bag the cars air filter etc and make sure the house is airtight - stuff gets everywhere!

Trouble with doing it outside is you can't recycle the media as it will get damp and clog the gun... make sure you bag the cars air filter etc and make sure the house is airtight - stuff gets everywhere!

Not doing it on the car mate, just in the drive the parts are sitting in my shed just now. Was going to get some plastic sheeting to collect as much media as possible so that I could sieve it later on and bake it to dry it. Although I do expect allot of the grit to get lost. :(

Just to let you all know how I got on.

Saturday just gone i got a shot of the compressor. Gritting went well but as many mentioned, It would have taken me an age to do the panel I had. The grit media was quite soft and the gun didn't have a large area of effect.

Collecting the grit wasn't a problem in the end, Just stuck the bit I was blasting in a clear plastic bag

:thumbleft:

The compressor was good enough to get it going though and for things like calipers or something small I'd say it was a good buy for £15

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45836[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45837[/ATTACH]

However, this panel is going to need more than just a little light tickle of grit.

Good work fella, that looks pretty good to be fair! I still haven't fitted mine :/ can't decide on a replacement engine!

Blasting anything that has heavy amount of rust is a job for a place that has the proper equipment, I use a heavy grit blaster at work and some of the stuff on my raddo took a while to blast and this is in a steel room with a like deep diving helmet on and a fireman's hose firing the grit out of it, and you have to brace yourself against the grit firing out .

It will be worth taking it some where they have these facilities, it will be worth it you get a nice silvery finish.

If any one is considering a finish other than Powder coating. As powder coating well it must be put on with no moisture underneath the coating on your blasted surface rusts underneath your powder coating and you wont know for a while!

Other option is Zinga , cold galvanisation pure zinc paint works a treat on blasted surface I highly recommend this stuff

Edited by Wild-Animal