Thom

In-dash 'Lights On' Warning Beeper

Hi,

Just thought I'd stick this on here in case anyone wanted to have a go, ....or you may just think it looks sh*t...either way :-)

Bought one of those beeper circuits to wire up to the ignition and light switch to prevent me leaving the lights on with ignition off. It came in a case about the size of a matchbox and was just going to fit it on the fuse box and be done with it. But, with me being the "if it ain't broke then fix it anyway" kind of guy, decided to take it apart and see if it could be mounted inside the dash.

Mine is a car without heated seats, so had one of those blank switch blocks below the Fog light switches. Found that it made a nice new home for the circuit board and that by punching a hole in the centre and adding a little gauze, made a cool little speaker for the beeper.

Also, the circuit board had a couple of pads intended for a blinking L.E.D so quickly stuck one in and made a suitable hole in the blank block for that too.

After that, just wired it up as normal, wrapped the board in some leccy tape and now have a farily stock-looking lights on warning beeper/flasher.

Some pics attached...

I need one of these!

Just last week, I need a jump start from girlfriends dad as I'd left the lights on the evening before!

Any chance we can get a detailed write up with pics for us electrical rookies?

I have a relay from a Mark 3 for this - haven't wired it in yet, but there's a fair bit of info on the german forums - if you get a door switch from a Passat that has two contacts it makes it easier.

I thought Corrado's came fitted with the dual contact switches. iirc both contacts on the driver's door are already in use. Certainly on the later VR6's.

The trick is to put a diade in the circuit to stop the buzzer warning circuit "seeing" the passenger / boot open. ie. it only works when the driver's door is opened with the lights left on.

Edited by RW1