VRGixxer

Five seat conversion.....anyone done one?...is it legal?

Hi,excuse if this has been asked before,but I couldn't find anything..

Overlooking the practical,cramped area,extra seat belt / lap belt required,removal of bolster ect,which could be tricky,but not impossible to overcome..

Question is,Is it legal?...V5 says it seats 4...is it possible to inform them of an extra seat and have the log book amended?...

Then there's the insurance issue....

Anyone done,looked into this?

I know some Corrados come with a flat rear bench in that there's know humped bit, but not sure if they had the lap belt in place for it. Also when I've done insurance before I had the option to select 4 or 5 seats.

What I think is the manufacture design cars to be 4, 5 or more seated. They are design to hold number of persons and make them as safe as possible during accident so first of all I think nobody will allow you to do this, second thing is that even I would be allowed to do this I don't think is safe enough, specially in Corrado where is no place for third person in the back.

On a late 16v or 8v the rear bench is flat, back of the seat is still split folding but the base would allow 3 people to sit, no reason why you couldn't fit a lap belt and socket from a mk3 or 4 golf.

Strictly speaking the existing fixing points probably shouldn't take 2 fittings bolted to each, but I don't see the difference between two fat people or 3 thin ones being anchored to the floor from the same points :lol:

Don't like lap belts bt that's another thing.

I wouldn't inform the DVLA or anything though, would just make everything more complicated.

edit: actually, thinking about it, the mk2 and 3 use the same floorplan so 3 belts should be fine, in fact people fit the corrado rear bench to mk2 golfs which had a centre lap belt.

I don't see any difference between 3 seats at the back of a corrado,and a nisan micra or similar small car...more bothered about the legality of it can you just ring the dvla and say its got 5 seats now chaps...tatty bye?...lol...My insurance asked if it was 4 or 5 seats and I just said 5 for the hell of it and just in case I do some kinda conversion...but would insurance company pull you on the number of seats if say you had 4 passengers and the log book states "4 seater"...in the even of a claim?...

The bottom anchor points are similar to a Mk2 Golf, only the Golf has a lap belt added to it, you could just use one of them. There won't be any problems with seat belt loads on the 7/16unf fixings and mounts.

My insurance asked if it was 4 or 5 seats and I just said 5 for the hell of it and just in case I do some kinda conversion...but would insurance company pull you on the number of seats if say you had 4 passengers and the log book states "4 seater"...in the even of a claim?...

Yep, that is exactly the kind of tiny little excuse they could potentially look for to void your policy in the event of a claim. 100% honesty is always the best policy with Ins companies, otherwise they will do their damndest to screw you over. And then some twerp from 'injury lawyers 4 U' will call you up and encourage you to fake a whiplash claim :lol: