coullstar

What tools can you hand carry on flights?

Looks like Im flying to pick up another car on Saturday and would like to take some tools with me.

Anyone done this before that has had hassle going through security? Im thinking a smallish socket set, adjustable spanner, pliers, duct tape, electrical tape and one or two other little things. Im suspecting screw drivers and the like are not allowed.

Looks like Im flying to pick up another car on Saturday and would like to take some tools with me.

Anyone done this before that has had hassle going through security? Im thinking a smallish socket set, adjustable spanner, pliers, duct tape, electrical tape and one or two other little things. Im suspecting screw drivers and the like are not allowed.

You might struggle with any of that as carry on, hold luggage would be ok for any tools but the best bet is to check with whoever you are flying with.

Thought that might be the case to be honest. Im just hate having to pay the robbing airline for hold luggage if I dont need too.

Thought that might be the case to be honest. Im just hate having to pay the robbing airline for hold luggage if I dont need too.

Like you say it is a pain and you'll have to check in at least 2hrs ahead instead of the 20-30 minutes that you can with just hand luggage.

Where is it your flying into for the car?

As Yan already has stated: You´ll have trouble to get nay tools on board in hand luggage.

I made the same mistake now 9 years ago, when I flew to Munich to inspect my current Mk1 Rocco. Tools were all confiscated at the security check. The only one allowed was my torch. Fortunately I didn´t have many tools with me, and had deliberately taken cheap ones only, but still.

Tempest

There is only one tool allowed in hand badge. The AA, RAC or other breakdown card. You can't take any tools as they are consider as a threat :( That what I was told by easy jet customer support.

Here's a suggestion. Why not post your tools down there with Royal Mail Special Delivery. They will get there next day. Then just fly down on Saturday and they will be waiting at the car for you. Simples :)

Ive booked hold baggage. As far as Im aware there is not problem with that, its only hand luggage thats the issue. Full RAC membership anyway but dont like relying on that.

I accidentally left a set of allen keys in my laptop bag, got all the way from Mexico to Spain before they took them off me. I said there's no way they can be used as a weapon, to which I got the reply "well you could take the plane to bits" WTF.

I accidentally left a set of allen keys in my laptop bag, got all the way from Mexico to Spain before they took them off me. I said there's no way they can be used as a weapon, to which I got the reply "well you could take the plane to bits" WTF.

There's a saying which goes "Never underestimate the stupidity of really stupid people".