kevn

No spark

I have just fit a new power steering rack to my sons corrado vr6, i started it and bled the air out of the rack, a bit later my son came home and tried to start the car and it just will not fire, it is getting fuel but no spark, wtf?

strange one. when you dropped the subframe, could a cable snagged and broke? Check around the starter and alternator area.

Otherwise, may just be coincidence and you would need to go through the basics. Maybe the ign key has finally worn out (getting quite a common issue)

Hmm, not sure about the key, it started on the button after fitting the rack, then a few hours later, no spark.

Do you have a fuel supply? If not, it just might be the crank position sensor cutting both fuel and sparks.

It could also be the ignition switch , not the key. A cheap job, (and a simple one if you are a contortionist).

Best wishes

RB

Cheers Roger, i have been having a good search around the site and i am pretty certain it is the ignition switch.

It already has new ECU and Fuel pump relays fitted, i also tried putting the old ones back and trying that, it is not the ignition switch either, i get power on the black wire when cranking.

One of the mechanics at work is going to test the ign amp for me, i am still baffled as to why it started fine after fitting the rack but a few hours later failed.

No my ignition switch isn't black, although it is working at the mo i will get a new one, my problem is looking more like the ignition module.

Very rare for the coil amps to fail on the VR6, but not unheard of. Is pin 15 getting 12V with the ignition on stage 2? Prize the cover off the coil terminals and 15 is the rear most one.

The ECU pulls pins 1/6, 5/2 and 3/4 to ground internally, so you won't be able to test if amp is working very easily.

Kevhaywire, one of the mechanics at work tested it on his fandangled tester and it failed, having said that his book didn't have the exact number of the amp to test, although the pic of it looked the same.

Will try your voltage at pin 15 test.

I have just been reading this thread...http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?51596-G60-earth-derived-on-mount-goes-where/page2&highlight=lambda+plug, thing is whilst doing the rack you have to remove the bolt from the rear mount, once my bolt was removed i realised it was bent, i replaced it with a normal ht bolt and made a bracket for the lambda plug, in my haste to finish the job i left the plug to just hang near the bracket not actually bolted to it, if i have read the above thread correctly i feel i may have sussed my confusion as to why it started straight after leaving the plug resting on the bracket and then it moving and not having contact.

Hooray it runs, no idea what it was though, my master tech mate came round to have a look and unplugged different connectors, testing things out, went to check the injector pulse and it fired up, probably a dodgy pin on one of the connectors.