polonski6

Replacing suspension. What else?

Hello people i'm putting on a set of coilovers at the weekend, jus wondered if its worth replacing anything else while i'm at it? Are new top mounts a must?

Cheers

yep, might as well, although wait until you've got the old top mounts off, they may be perfectly serviceable, although you could buy them anyway and just keep them for when they do need changing if they're not immediately needed.

there's not really anything else to replace if you're putting coilovers on, although some like to replace all the bottom suspension bolts, front and rear, they are reusable though.

I just fitted coilovers and the front mounts were fine but the back ones were duff. Looks like the fronts were done fairly recently even though there is no history for them. They didn't have the expected slotted nuts at the top, so I think they were pattern parts.

I had to replace the 4 nuts and bolts at the bottom of the front struts as the threads were all corroded, the back ones were rusty but reusable.

I just fitted coilovers and the front mounts were fine but the back ones were duff. Looks like the fronts were done fairly recently even though there is no history for them. They didn't have the expected slotted nuts at the top, so I think they were pattern parts.

I had to replace the 4 nuts and bolts at the bottom of the front struts as the threads were all corroded, the back ones were rusty but reusable.

VW didn't use the castleated nuts on 'Plus' suspension models. Bottom nuts must be changed as they are lock nuts and I would also buy the bolts for the sake of an extra few quid. Top mounts usually last around 60k so again always replace and don't use anything but genuine as pattern ones don't last 5 mins.

Bottom nuts must be changed as they are lock nuts and I would also buy the bolts for the sake of an extra few quid.

Yep, replace both. They can be reused a few times and I do them up to 90lbs, never had any issues. VAG improved the slip washers on the nuts a few years ago and the camber adjustment is far better as a result. Old nuts tend to bite onto the bearing housing, pulling the camber back to where it previously was, no matter how tight you do them up.

Bottom nuts must be changed as they are lock nuts and I would also buy the bolts for the sake of an extra few quid.

Is there are part number for these two?

EDIT: Can anyone confirm N10174001 for the front bolts and N90323704 for the nuts?

And while we're at it, any idea what numbers the rear equivalents are (3 and 4 in the pic)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=23736&d=1182971624

Edited by domwells27

Here's a thing. Not every single part is on ETKA. But if you speak to a dealer they can find out what it was. Back in the day I think they used to use ERWIN in parallel with ETKA, but now I believe they have different software.

Circling back to your original post, if you are pulling it all apart to fit coilovers anyway, I would recommend checking the state of the suspension bushes and the anti-roll bar links. Since you're already in there it's an easy check, plus going down the lower/firmer springs route will put a bit more pressure on it all so make sure it's in good nick.

In fact it would be a good time to poly-bush the front suspension if you want to do the ultimate job.

HTH,

John