AJ_EQ

1.8T Engine choice Confusion

The AGU engine will not have the k03s. It will have the early k03. Engines after 2002 will run the later k03s.

There are a different number of blades on the cold side of the turbo like Sunderland said. I think it's 10 and 12 though.

OP what do you want to achieve? The 1.8 is nothing like a vr. Perhaps you need to experience one before you commit to the conversion.

Costs depend on how u do the conversion or who does the work.

As I a guide I spend £2500 on my conversion and that was doing all the work myself.

Yeah an Emerald system would be perfect for you if Walker's Workshop is only down the road! But if you like your MBE and it drives how you want it currently, £600 quid is a lot to fork out to tweak your cams!

I don't think I will bother switching to emerald. I'm well chuffed with how my car is at the moment, it's how I think the Corrado should always have been. I don't drive it everyday so it always feels quick when I get back into it.

I might look into the MBE potential of doing it though...

Right... er I've changed my mind, lol. After driving a mk4 gti 180 and a remapped (by cc tuning) 150 with ko3s, I just dont want to get rid of my VR6, I love the power band but mainly just the sound.

So now I need a more fuel efficient car on a relatively low budget. I'm thinking something with either the 1.8 T 150 or GT TDi (130, I've heard the 150 has cam issues). After my first time driving a mk4 yesterday, i didnt like the driving position that much, felt like i was on a booster seat (maybe just something to get used to).

Any help in choosing a would be great. My potential list so far includes A3, Leon, Golf. Doesnt have to stay within the vw group I guess, but thats all ive ever known really.

I don't blame you being put off after driving a mk4, its not great. Thank god my 1.8t is nothing like that!

I don't blame you being put off after driving a mk4, its not great. Thank god my 1.8t is nothing like that!

tbh it handled like a sack of potatoes. I dont know whether it has height adjustable seats, but I felt like my head was almost touching the roof and im only 5'9". Thought maybe it would worth putting some coilovers on it perhaps.

Ideally Id love another corrado with the 1.8T but its going to be outa my price range. Is there a car that has good handling, nice relaxed driving position, enough power thats not the corrado, lol.

Why would you decide not to do an engine conversion based on the fact that the donor car handles like ****?

does anyone on this forum have a brain anymore?

Why would you decide not to do an engine conversion based on the fact that the donor car handles like ****?

As I said, I just love the VR6 engine and have decided to hold on to it. I would buy another corrado and do the conversion if I could afford it, but its currently out of my funding.

So I am looking into other cars, possibly with the 1.8t and thats why I said the mk4 golf handled like crap.

I am going to test drive a GT TDi mk4 golf today (130), but I am slightly concerned about the horror stories I have heard about cam wearing.

MK4s do have height adjustable seats. You can get some really nicely spec'd 1.8Ts with lovely Leather Recaros etc etc. MK4s do handle OK if you put the right parts on them, but it just doesn't feel like it handles well. Steering feedback is practically non existent but they grip well.

Engine horror stories tend to stem from people who don't look after them but have a look on forums like tdiclub to get some views from owners.

OP: 'Right... er I've changed my mind, lol. After driving a mk4 gti 180 and a remapped (by cc tuning) 150 with ko3s, I just dont want to get rid of my VR6, I love the power band but mainly just the sound.'

Does anyone on this forum read posts properly anymore?! :lol: ;)