Danny Ess

does anyone have a corrado that doesnt break?

many younger, more popular cars have rotted away and vanished from our roads since the corrado was born! the shell and panels are pretty solid, it's just the rest of the car you need to replace!

on the other hand it feels like you need to be a millionaire to own a corrado, i always have a list of things that need sorting, useually expensive or difficult to find stuff.

without e-bay corrado ownership would have been impossible!

You'd struggle to find a better looked after car than Andys (C5 OEM). Go and have a look at it and if you measure up, he may even let you buy it off him !

There's a couple of us on here from the Wigan area. I'd say pop round, but the cars in a thousand pieces so hardly road worthy.

As with most old/classic cars, nine times out of ten they're bought with the heart and the overall running costs are rarely considered.

Where abouts in Wigan are you ? There's an Ice Grey Violet VR6 for sale at Gordons Honda (near Latics ground):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250795584700&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1142wt_1128

Edited by James.

I have a valver, I wish I had more money or Know-how on how to maintain/improve her better, but I've never had any bother with her, don't know anyone else with

one and have only ever seen 2-3 others where I live (inverness) and the yellow nugget was in poor state, But like the guys say get a good one in good working order.

Mines is in for a service £102k, in all honesty I'm dredding it, my mates say do it yourself, but engines are like women, don't really understand them lol. It too low to

get a (trolly) jack under and even then where the hell do I start. I do need a rear engine mount and going to get the front wheel bearings done on the day of the service, I could probably do with changing the dizzy cap, rotar arm and perhaps the ht leads, air and fuel filters, oil, flush the engine etc etc, but I love my C.

Even if they break they are quiet easy and cheap to fix. Had few in the past and currently have two VR6 and only my first 2.0 16V was breaking at last once a week. Today I lost both lights so need 2 new bulbs.

two 16v's, 1st one never let me down, 2nd one let me down once with seized rear caliper.

two vr's, first one cost me £5k was meticulously maintained by previous owner and let me down consistently, second cost me £1,5k and has not let me down yet. price won't guarantee reliability.

Had my valver for coming up to 2 years now and love it to pieces. Not much more I can add to what everyone else has said regards problems. Biggest issue I've had was replacing the cooling fan, so have been lucky, but e-bay is always a close friend. You're going to get problems on any car you buy, but I like to think a C is similar to what they say about an Alfa Romeo. It can be incredibly infuriating for a large period of time, but when everything comes together and works right, and you're on a nice twisty country road on a clear summer's day, you can't beat the feeling!

but I like to think a C is similar to what they say about an Alfa Romeo. It can be incredibly infuriating for a large period of time, but when everything comes together and works right, and you're on a nice twisty country road on a clear summer's day, you can't beat the feeling!

Well put that man! :)

Tom

Just helped a mate buy a 1994 VR6, 129,000 miles but 1 owner/driver. He had it as company car until 1997, bought it from the company in 1997. Incredible amount of service history. Currently running beautifully.

My background as a commentator:

My son had one (helped him buy it) and his best mate has one, my mate now has one (helped him buy it) and I have had a 1997 Golf VR6 for 3 years.

Comments:

Looking at the service history of the one my mate has bought', it is full of invoices to fix 'rough running'.

It also has loads of fixes for running too hot....and had a new rad in 2007.

For the rough running, it has had:

coilpack x 2

loads of plug leads and plugs

Air mass meter

lambda probe x 2

throttle body cleaned x 3

air valve cleaned x 2

idle valve cleaned x 3

Lambda sensor x 2

My car is OBD2 and has run faultlessly for my 20,000 miles only needing a coilpack (they bake and lose their insulation - don't be tempted by a 'fake' one, by a VW OEM one).

Problem is the Corrado is OBD1. Seems most of the arrangement on the inlet side just don't last without a lot of attention, regularly.

A lot of posts are about 'letting you down'. I doubt a Corrado VR6 will. It will just have a lot of little niggles especialy on the intake/fueling side and will run rough.

The other main issues that you find on the forum are coolant running temp and oil temp.

There are many other well known and obvious issues, non of which 'let you down'.

Sunroof

Spoiler

heater controls

Electric mirrors

(old) original alarm/immobilisor systems

wipers are ****e

headlights are ****e

Depends what you mean by 'letting down'. VR OBD1s appear to be a bit of a problem with 'rough running' and running too hot, water and oil. Get those fixed and you have a reliable motor. The other issues are just inconvenient.

As others have posted, they don't often let you down, as in breakdown, just don't drive as they should from time to time. To get that sorte4d can cost a bit but once done they are awesome to drive. As someone said on here...each journey in a Corrado VR6 is an event.