quicky1980

r32 engine difficult to start

yeah, ill try him

Ive had a thought, maybe key barrel? Im jus going to go and hot wire my baby. see if that helps

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Just tried bypassing the ign barrel and all seems ok. looks like this may have been the fault. Will now look into how to change the ign barrel. Any one know if the same key can be kept when changing the ign barrel?

Think you can retumble them.... but I might be thinking door locks. Mines had an ignition barrel in the past and it seems to be a common problem for a lot of running issues.

Hoping to see you at the Peterborough meet in a few weeks still mate?

sounds more like a fuelling problem to me...

you've got an aftermarket FPR haven't you? check that's all ok and set to the right pressure.

also how many miles has your engine done - could the injectors be full of crap meaning they don't close properly and they let excess fuel into the chambers after it's stopped. that would explain why it starts fine first thing in the mornings and not once it's been running for a while...

Thanks Pete for the suggestions, never checked the aftermarket FPR. Its quite possible the FPR is faulty or the adjusting screw has moved. Injectors shouldnt be a problem due to the engine only being about 25k, but it did cross my mind.

However, I've fitted a new VAG ignition switch (not barrell) and it looks like it's resolved the issue. yey!! Thankfully as anything else ie FPR, Injectors, head gasket etc etc could have been an expensive and inconclusive result. Will look into sorting VAG COM for the car for future issues (although the scan wouldnt show up as "screwed up ignition switch" lol