emu

How cold is your aircon in Corrado ??

Recently bought a Corrado with aircon in it. Tried it today as was very warm and to be honest I'm very disappointed. I know it's an old system and nothing to compare with new climatronic system. I use to drive a 10 years old audi allroad and aircon was very cold, even freezing I could say. Corrado aircon is miles away from it and just wondering if I need a regas or it's just like it works.

it should be absolutely freezing. Its actually very good at cooling, just not veryu efficient ie the management saps power and you feel it as teh compressor kicks in. Climatronic has a separate ecu so you dont feel any significant effect when its on, or when it trips in and out.

See if the compresor even comes on by starting the car and then switch the aircon on - revs should drop slightly and then come back up again.

If it doesnt, get a pressure test and regas if required. MAke sure they use a dye to check for any leaks and get it tested a week later for leaks.

Edited by fla

ive hear similar sotrys of rados air con not being very good. but not sure if this was resolved by a simple regas or its a design fault.

You sure the aur con system is kicking in and its not just the blower pushing ambient air around?

Just back from a car to double check everything. Air comp kicks in, revs goes down a little bit, air coming from vents is much colder than without aircon switched on but it's not as I wanted it to be. It's not so hot now as was in early morning hours, I had aircon switched on and was sweating inside a car.

Think it's a good idea to give it a service and regas, but car must pass MOT first.

As it is colder when switched on then that is good- in so much as it does work , no leaks etc etc. It should , if i recall blow out air approx 4 degrees so it prob just needs a regas. Air-con particularly the older type needs to be used regularly or the seals dry out etc.

as ^^^^^ says, seals needs to be kept lubed with regular use. My aircon is freezing cold, check the airflow is also ok from the vents and the evaporator thermocouple switch is not switched up too high. This will be a small knob perhaps on teh right side of the pass side under tray. Basically it prevents the system coming on if it is too cold ie if there is ice in the evaporator. I use my aircon in winter to demist but when it gets below about 3C it wont work so have to resort to the good ol' anti mist cloth!

Also, if you take the front off, have a look to see the evap is not clogged with crud and motorway debris. Give it a blast with a pressure washer if you can.

mine has always been pretty naff, when i bought the car the owner did say it needed regassing, but i hardly use aircon anyway.

think i'm decided now that i am going to remove it all when doing steering rack

Started car today after work, switched aircon on and nothing. After 2 minuter driving aircon kicked on and started blowing colder air than was before. Have to give it a good service and look for all connectors, something definitely is wrong.

Be careful guys,When i had the US model g60 it had aircon it blew warm prob out of gas.Then on a long trip from germany to uk the compresser siezed+bearing overheated,collapsed and the car ended up on the back of a tow truck

Its a simpler system than the climatronics of this world but after 10 - 15 seconds you should be wanting to take your frozen hand away from the vent, sounds like a re-gas should be your first point of call as its the most likely - and the cheapest!