krishen

Handbrake Cable tightening

This weekend gone i attempted to tighten my handbrake.

Firstly how do you remove the plastic trim that runs from the actual handle? I couldn't get it off so couldn't actually remove the plastic surrounds without a bit of force which has damaged said plastic trim.

Still managed to get to the actual nuts but one of them snapped off. If you looking at where the cable ends there are 2 nuts. A fatter one followed by a normal size one. It is the end of the cable that has snapped. So the fatter nut is still secured. The handbrake seems to be tighter but im a bit weary of the snapped end.

Is it ok to leave as is or should i replace the whole cable? I always leave the car in gear so not worried about it rolling down the road or anything.

You need to remove the leather (or plastic on late 8v & 16v) handle. These can be tight! You have to push up at the base/underside. It has a kind of release clip. Sometimes they come straight off, sometimes they make you swear :lol: Then, the plastic gaitor trim just slides off the handle.

I would replace the cable. Dead easy!

if both nuts are still there then theres prob no need to change it just loosen the big nut, tighten the smaller one the re-tighten the big one. but there are cheap, only about £9 so not a big expense if you change it anyway. if your doing one you might aswell do both. once you got the surround off it may be worth having a look at the handbrake mounting point itself cause the weld there can also fail.

Guys how in the world do you get the handbrake cover off?

I cant seem to remove the handle in order to remove the plastic strip. As you can see i may have butchered this a bit.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

It's in the Bentley manual - you'll need to buy a new grip now if you still can!

There is a small clip underneath that releases it where it attaches to the other trim.

Mine was almost glued on when i attempted to take mine off resorted to the use of a junior hacksaw to get it off as it was being replaced anyway.

And just so you know there is a clip underneath the grip itself that you need to push then pull towards the front of the car

yo you need to pull up on the rear middle seat section, remove the ash tray{just unclips} then theres 4 10mm nuts which you remove, then the center section should be almost free only a few more skrews here n there ,just have a look its prety self explanatory,

It's in the Bentley manual - you'll need to buy a new grip now if you still can!

There is a small clip underneath that releases it where it attaches to the other trim.

Mine was almost glued on when i attempted to take mine off resorted to the use of a junior hacksaw to get it off as it was being replaced anyway.

And just so you know there is a clip underneath the grip itself that you need to push then pull towards the front of the car

Will check have a look for this damn clip on the weekend.

Also as expensive as it is, may need to fork out for a bently manual. Will probably save me breaking things in the future.

Cheers guys.