Geo7087

A few lighting questions

Ok so TAG is coming up for MOT time so i'm preparing it to be ready

have a few questions whilst im checking over all my lighting

1 - The inner chambers on the headlights don't seem to come on under any function? whats should these do?

2 -The Normal Beam and full beam are in one chamber via a H4 bulb, is this right or should it be one beam for one chamber? which would explain point 1....

3 - The fogs aren't working at all, the switch is lit up via the interior lighting and all plugged in as normal, bulbs in the rear clusters ok, haven't had a chance to check the fronts yet, could this be a simple case of a fuse?

4 - The Rear Lights have the tops tinted red, and i have red side repeaters, im assuming the red flash for indicators would mean an MOT failure as they should flash amber, is this correct? If so all red rears will have to be stripped down and then tint film bought post MOT :(

Any help mega appreciated, Thanks!

Aright mate, think i can help abit, anyone else correct me if im wrong.

1. The inner chambers are the main beam, they are H3 bulbs and should come on only with main beam.

2. The outer chambers sound right. They are H4 bulbs and should do both dipped beam and main beam.

3. The fogs could be a fuse, i had a problem with mine, and the terminal which connects to the bulb was abit corroded, try having a fiddle with it and rough it up abit.

4. As for the rears, mine are tinted red too. I have amber Led bulbs in mine, which show up amber through the tint fine, although you need to add a resistor in line to slow the flashing down. Or I think some people have used a green tint on the bulb, this makes the flash orange through the lens.

Either that, or like you say strip the tint down.

Hope this helps

Rick

In addition to rickdonald's response, i'd get amber led's and resistors. Dead cheap from ebay. Using green tinted bulbs gives a dull glow and not always amber.

In addition to rickdonald's response, i'd get amber led's and resistors. Dead cheap from ebay. Using green tinted bulbs gives a dull glow and not always amber.

Agreed, steer well clear of the green bulbs!! Leds work a treat. I have always swapped my red rears for standard lens every MOT (just in case!) however completely forgot about it last year. It sailed through the MOT, so the LEDs are better than i thought :)

Ideal thanks guys!

MOT is monday so unless i can borrow some tails off someone local... lol, I'll have to strip the red tint off

Seems a real shame if they are a nice set. Where you based, if your local I have a spare set to get you through the MOT

i have a set of rear indicators ideal for MOT time if your interested? going cheap as they are slightly damages but perfectly fine for MOT's

Would be ideal, however im in Cornwall... and MOT is monday haha

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

P.S.

After tonights efforts some results

1 - Inner chamber full beams now work, 2 blown fuses

2 - Outer chambers, after fitting my new headlight one doesn't work, im guessing bulb, the other works but the normal light comes on with sidelights switched on, and full beam with dipped switched on... lol

3 - Fogs now working, fuse wasn't blown, its was properly melted! the metal connectors were touching posi to negi on the fog spade connectors, simply insulated them and job done

4 - Tails... have done nothing on this yet lol