Ronko

Mpg how long to rise up on vr?

Hi I've got a question about my vr6 I've had a scan about but couldn't really find the answer. From cold on my mfa 1 it will take about 8 miles for the mpg to reach around 23-26 from 0. The mfa 2 is always on 23ish mpg I can get up to about 28 on the motorway. I'm not really bothered about the high readings just wanna know if that's how long it should take to rise to it's peak just seems a bit long to get up. Is this how all the vr's are? Thanks Guy

Mine is in l/100km but i would say that is about right. The difference when i drive it around the narrow streets of the pueblo (and the locals love the exhaust note......) and the autopista is probably in the order of 30% or so and that 'warm up' to its peak i reckon is about right.......

what roads and speed are you doing in that 8 miles? I would say if you can get up to that level in 8 miles then thats not too bad but then i'd expect you to end up with a higher mfa average too. 8 miles across london even in reasonably good traffic and i can still struggle to get much over 20..!

them 8 miles are slow probably no over 40mph dukest, sounds about right then but a bit low on higher average.

I do 23 miles on my commute. That includes about 17 miles on 50mph restricted motorway and the rest in 'cross town traffic' and by the end of the run I'm at 32mpg. I'm usually at about 22/23 as I start the motorway section. Bizarre thing is if I run at 60-70mph, then I can hit 36. On this basis I'm planning a 100mph run just to hit 50mpg - that last bit's a joke. I usually am hitting 20 within about 3 or 4 miles, but my first reading can be as low as 8mpg.

If you're just doing 8 miles, it's propbably running the richer cold start map most of the time, hence the poor mpg. Think it switches over to the more economical map at 80 C water.

is this the same with g60s my mpg a rubbish, have been looking for some info on the mfa but with no luck i.e sensors and so on, is setting 1 real time and setting 2 average?

MFA 1 resets if the vehicle ignition is not switched on for about an hour. MFA 2 doesn't reset until you cover something like 1000 miles. But you can reset either by sliding the switch to the zero either side of the 1 and 2 on the stalk. So MFA 1 can be used per journey, and MFA 2 can be used per tank full for example. Not sre I got the distances and times exactly right, but it's all in the hand book.

Talking about being still on the cold map I drove around 22 miles around an hour ago and at the end of the journey my water temp was hovering just above 70, so I could well have still been on the cold map. Plus i've still got my closed slat grill fitted at the moment!

I know the gauge on the dash isn't going to be the most accurate, but I've noticed that it tends to register just around the 70 for most of the time until it gets hot in traffic, then it will go up to just over 90, when the fans kick in. That seems too low to me. I'd have expected it to run at about 80 or maybe just over. It's a VR6. What are others like?

D

I've just put the standard airbox back on with the paper filter this week and cannot believe the the difference it's made to my mpg I'm now hitting 32-34 mpg on short around town commutes not even been on the motorway yet. These are figures I've never seen on my mfa with that RAM air cone inside the engine bay. The power is still there it's just quieter and nicer. It's defenatly changed my readings alot and for the best. Maybe due to the ram air bringing in to much air and also very hot air at times messing up the mixture with the MAF sensor.

I've just put the standard airbox back on with the paper filter this week and cannot believe the the difference it's made to my mpg I'm now hitting 32-34 mpg on short around town commutes not even been on the motorway yet. These are figures I've never seen on my mfa with that RAM air cone inside the engine bay. The power is still there it's just quieter and nicer. It's defenatly changed my readings alot and for the best. Maybe due to the ram air bringing in to much air and also very hot air at times messing up the mixture with the MAF sensor.

When the mapping is done by the car manufacturer, the standard kit is fitted. The way that the air passes out of the the air filter box is compensated for by the map. So on a Corrado the air is passing through a curve as it goes into the MAF, but when you put a can filter on the air is travelling in a straight line as it approaches the MAF. While the same amount of air may go through the sensor, the speed at which the air passing over the actual sensor bits inside will be different, so the Map thinks the airflow is different to actual. You are generally better off putting something like a K&N filter element in the standard filter box than putting a can on.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

What do other people's temp gauges show when doing some general driving, not high speed motorway or stuck in traffic. Mine shows below 70 a lot of the time.

My water temps usually 70-80 max got a low temp thermostat in fans come on a low temp. Oil usually 95 when driving boring.

Really wouldn't recommend a low temp stat. The car will be running the cold start map pretty much constantly and therefore running rich and using too much fuel.

Talking about being still on the cold map I drove around 22 miles around an hour ago and at the end of the journey my water temp was hovering just above 70, so I could well have still been on the cold map. Plus i've still got my closed slat grill fitted at the moment!

my vr's like this! im replaceing the 2 temp senders in a few days, i should get it hooked up to vagcom and check the ecu temp vs the gauge temp but my m8 with vagcom is a lazy biotch, im prety sure one of them is out as my engine is way hotter then the gauge says, and because my gauge barely goes higher then 75 my fans dont kick in, probably running on the cold map aswell,

my vr's like this! im replaceing the 2 temp senders in a few days, i should get it hooked up to vagcom and check the ecu temp vs the gauge temp but my m8 with vagcom is a lazy biotch, im prety sure one of them is out as my engine is way hotter then the gauge says, and because my gauge barely goes higher then 75 my fans dont kick in, probably running on the cold map aswell,

Where are you based mate?

Where are you based mate?

hi, im from guernsey in the channel islands, lol the furthest south you can go without being foreign :)