thecorradokid

Headlight wiring problem!! PLEASE HELP!

not sure this is in the right section. But basically

My Raddo had a problem with really dim headlights, a bit of research revealed that this is a common problem. I see that you can get uprated looms on ebay and such and was in the process of buying one HOWEVER!

By means of a "make do" solution, i had put in some uprated headlight bulbs and fog bulbs. Super bright ones. they made a tiny bit of diffrence and i was waiting for payday to get the loom... BUT!

The other day i was driving and it started to get dark, i flicked my headlight swicth on and all of a sudden the dash board was up in smoke! I managed to pull over and get the switch pulled out which was scalding hot! :( BAD TIMES!

Without taking the dash off yet and looking further, it seems that the earth wire comming out of the back of the headlight swicth has melted! I just hope and pray that the damage to the entire loom is not to servere!!

ANYONE KNOW WHAT MY OPTIONS ARE? IS THIS GONNA BREAK THE BANK!? the car is still driving, but the lights, wipers, sun roof and sterio have stopped working! i realise this is probably fuses.. but whats my next step!? So gutted! Hope its not to crazy as i am very skint at the moment!

PLEASE HELP!

Aston AKA the corrado kid

Hi. Dont know if this is any help but it sounds like this is what has happened.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49497-Headlight-switch-and-loom-fires.....DIY-prevention&highlight=light+switch+fuse+fire

I would say you deffinetly need a new switch and to check the condition of the loom. The wipers and radio ect. sound like a relay fault rather than fuses. Hope this helps:) dave.

Edited by daavid44

had a read, yes thats the one i think!

im good with cars, but i have to be honest, im out of my depth with anything electrics!

If i take this into a garage, am i gonna break the bank?

thanks for your help tho buddy! by the sounds of it, im lucky the whole car didnt go up!

i'm just quite lucky that way being an electrician haha! I would say its worth taking the fusebox covers ect off to get a look at the loom yourself. with any luck you might get away with repairing the loom with some cable and but crimps/ soldering and a new switch. would just depend on the extent of the damage to the loom.