pet73r

Strange Height problems on coilovers

Fitted my coilovers the other day (FK AK Street) cheap kit i know, but all the bank would let me have!

Anyway, fitted them all and measured exactly the distance from bottom of threads to the first securing ring with vernier calipers so that they would be an equal ride height all round.....

Which they were for about a week. Then the other day i heard this strange noise from the back and all of a sudden the O/S rear one had dropped about 10mm. I investigated but couldnt see anything wrong at all.

No leaking, no damage to springs, no damage to rear beam or bushes, none to top mounts or to securing rings.

Ive now raised the O/S rear one 10mm to compensate and this has visually made it equal again but surely this cant be right?

The N/S left is set to 15mm from bottom of threads to first securing ring and the O/S 25mm. Strange?!

Whats going on??

As you say, this is deffinately not right. Given that you have checked that all the attatchment points are ok and the top mount is as it should be, them the only way it can be so is if the damper itself has collapsed internally. Are you sure there is not a spring break on the affected side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVerything seems as it should be. And after taking her out for a drive earlier there were no unusual noises occurring. If the damper has collapsed would there be any leakage? Would I notice anything by doing the old MOT damper test? Ill have another look at the springs but under inspection earlier they all seemed fine, they are only a few days old!!

I dont fill up! Haha, these prices Im lucky to get £20 in, not more than 14 litres that. Surely that wouldnt weight it down that much?

but i wouldnt of thought that would make the bottom of the threads be a different measurement. did the coilovers drop down the threads? ie was there less threads than there should of been? did it acutally DROP 10mm on the suspension ?

were the rears seated correctly to the top mounts, quite possible that they were both incorrectly seated and one popped back into position whilst driving, the other may still need to be reseated. Check them again, as you lower the car back down make sure the springs seat correctly, my FK's sometime drop when the cars raised off the ground and as I lower the car back to the ground i need to reseat them.

Thanks for the replys guys. Checked out everyting you have mentioned but everything is fine!

Dont know what the hell it is. I compensated and made the o/s rear on 10mm higher and the car then looked level, for a while, now the o/s rear has magically dropped down again?! Very strange.

Im confused. And annoyed.