mattyattitude

Starting issues

Had my 1.8 16v for month or so and from day two had starting issues. It needed push starting then be alright for few days but now it won't start unless it's pushed. I'm getting a spark at the diz and batters charged cause my sound system runs off it no problem. It seems to turn over just not fire up.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

hello, it's difficult to get help on hear sometimes! quicky1980 is right tho, and as you have a push button fitted it's even more likely, make sure you get a genuine new ignition switch which is now a polo item starting with a 6n part number. it's not a fun job, probably why somebody fitted a push button.

if you can get another switch to test, you can unplug yours plug the new one in and test it that way (saves removing the switch if it's fine) make sure the push button is removed first, then you will know for sure.

otherwise i'd look at the isv or the vacum pipes.

hope that helps

does the isv mean the idle valve? the lad i brought it from said it could been that cause it happened on his golf, but my mates dad was set that the idle valve only kicks in after its started so should start, rev up and then cut off

yep, the idle valve, i think the problem is that the valve gets stuck open, so it might mean it's flooding, you can improve it by taking it apart and cleaning it with carb cleaner. i'd say the ignition switch is very likely too, if you have a push button start and the key will not start the car the switch must be broken.