FenderSi

Second hand price for a set of kerbed BBS RX228 (17x7 1/2) ???

I have a friend who works at a breakers (not perhaps the best way to start a thread...) but he has had a set of decent wheels and tyres come in as stated in the title. I have always liked the style and they retail at around 800+ for a set of 4 new with tyres and ready to roll. The guy who owns the place has asked me for £270 for the set of 4 with the tyres on but they are substantially kerbed; to the point that I'm not sure if they are salvageable. I have been in contact with an alloy refurb place and the guy said he's done BBS rims before and damage levels aren't of any huge concern (anything can be done for a price I suppose?) apparently I'm looking at a cost of around £340 to make them look new again.

-Can anyone give me any thoughts on if they think either of those prices seem high/low/about right?

-Any other words of wisdom as I've only ever gone with new or as good as new rims previously. Is the finish likely to be as good as I would hope?

-Are there any tell tale signs to look out for when I inspect the wheels properly later this week?

Any help is much appreciated,

Simon.

if they're not split rims then £340 for a refurb is taking the mickey. even if they all needed building up with new welding then £250 should be the max you'd pay - eg. £160+VAT for standard refurb with fancy paint

you need to look for cracks or actual dents in the rim of the wheel, but if they're just scraped nastily then, as you've been told, its not an issue to sort out, and for the kind of money above. the price for the wheels seems ok, they should make £400-500ish without tyres in good condition, they were £800 without tyres new so call it £1k for new everything.

Edited by dukest

So you can get brand new originals with rubber for £800'ish, but a knackered set which need refurbishing will set you back £600 before you even put tyres on them?

I'd just buy new ones personally!

as mentioned though Jim, he's wrong, you cant get them for that new, they're over £200 each new with no tyres, hence me saying above that they're well over £1k with tyres. and that refurb price is at least £100 too much so the refurbed 2nd hand price with the tyres included will only be £500.

I got a set of 16" RS771s which are similar for £200 including some virtually new Budget tyres which I am putting on my other car as they're the wrong size for the C. Only one needs much refurb. I spent a few weeks scouring ebay before I found them. I'd do a good search on ebay before making the jump. I'd reckon on there being better buys than that on there.

D

For example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17-BBS-ALLOY-WHEELS-TYRES-FIT-VW-SEAT-LEON-AUDI-/300542331602?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item45f9b80ad2#ht_720wt_1139

here's a full list

http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/Wheels-with-Tyres-/9888/i.html?Rim%2520Diameter%2520%2528inches%2529=16|17&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4341&rt=nc&_nkw=vw+bbs+alloy&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1