white_ruin

1990 16V Clutch pedal on the floor - suspect master cylinder HELP!!!!!!

I have a problem with the clutch pedal that is stuck to the floor, you can pull it back by hand, put as soon as you press it, it stays on the floor, also when you do this you can hear air hissing from the direction of the clutch master cylinder. I've tried to source a new master cylinder without any luck - does any one know where i can get one (Part No 358 721 401 - VAG don't make supply this any more) or of another fix ?

The clutch pedal will sink and stay on the floor in the abscence of hydraulic resistance. The resistance is generated by there being a sealed hydraulic system free of any trapped air. Your fault is not necessarily with the master cylinder, indeed the usual culprit is the slave cylinder. I would advise that you check then bleed the system thoroughly, starting with the master cylinder then the slave, and then re-check it's operation. A word of warning, however, is to first remove the slave cylinder and check it has not been leaking into the clutch assembly. You don't want to be changing the clutch as a symptom of your current problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk