helen baynham

My car is idling at 3000 revs (off and on)

Hello! I'm new to this site but have a problem with my yellow 1.8 that I have owned and loved for 10 years.

Shortly after starting the car, the revs go up to 3000 which makes the car very unpleasant to drive!!

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how to cure it?

Many thanks

Many things can cause the high idle speed, common things are throttle valve fault or obstruction, idle screw seal, splits in the rubber induction hose connected to throttle valve, air leaks at inlet manifold area, vacuum pipe/hose splits. If it is an air leak a well tuned ear will be able to hear it. I don't know the level of your personal mechanical ability, but if any of this makes little sense then call a professional to help. You can run up a much bigger bill " having a go".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John -Thanks very much for your help. Lots for my partner to work on but if all fails, I'll take it to the garage. I guess storing a car for 6 months is never a good idea (it started second time!) as things can perish. I posted a response earlier but it hasn't appeared on the thread and didn't want you to think I hadn't bothered answering!

I had it resprayed last year in its original colour taken off the chassis. Strangely, its not nugget yellow but a paler softer yellow and wonder whether many cars were painted in this? I've never seen one in this colour before.

I have just had the same prob lol.

Myn happened to be a flap inside the airbox not closing properly and i just discovered a leaking inlet manifold gasket

Sorry - I'm new to all this and should have said. Yes, its 1.8 16v 1990 and yellow (though I'm sure that's irrelevant!)

The colour is of vital importance! It would have probably blown up by now if it was red... green cars are good, yellow warning, red dead.

Tis a natural fact :smug:

LOL :D

yeah you could check the metering head flap as mentioned before, as they can gum up sometimes and get stuck at certain positions. It's under the circular rubber cover thing on the left, and the main unit has all the fuel lines spidering off from it. That's the metering head for the fuel injection :D

Thanks for all your suggestions. As I know next to nothing about cars, I took it to local garage and they wanted £180 for rendering it undriveable and needing to be towed home. I insisted they returned it to how it was, high revving but driveable, which they reluctantly did. Anyway, it revs high when it's warm and can't really be driven. It seems no-one wants to look at it so my question is simple - does anyone know of a good Corrado man in the Cardiff/South Wales area? Thanks so much for any help - Helen

Hi Helen, what did the garage actually do to render it undrivable? I have this problem before on a previous Rado and spent loads on garage bills. It turned out to be a vacum leak in the end and fixed with two cable ties at a cost of 50p! I live in Cardiff and know my way around the KR engine pretty well (3 mk2 golfs and 4 Corrado's!). I'd be willing to lend a hand, but can't promise I could solve it. PM me if you would like a hand.

Tristan

Hi Tristan, thanks for your reply! I did try to PM you but not sure if I was successful or not. I know as much about navigating websites as I do about air intake problems! I would be SO grateful if you could take a look at my car if/when you have a moment. In case you didn't get my message with my mob number, my email address is [email protected].