sexybourbon

do i cut my door of ??

My drivers door lock decided to some how break leaving me unable to open the door from the inside or the outside handle

And because its locked i can only partly get the door card off from the inside

Iv put tje window down and had a torch in there but no matter what i push prod poke press and hook i cannot get the latch to open and i cant see anyway of getting in

Iv spent 5 hours today trying to get in and its not hapening

In the end if i cant get the latch open and a lock smith cant do it im gonna grind a hole in the door and have it off and put a new one on and get it sprayed by a mate who paints proffesionally lol

Any help would be great as my m.o.t is next month asweall

Cheers guys

probably better off cutting through the door card and getting another one to replace it tbh! as your mate might spray the door but it might not be a good match ect ect where as a door car is just a straight replacement once youve got the door open its easy enough to unlock if you can get your hand in there,

good luck and hope you dont have to cut a hole in your door

Fen

Why not just rip the door card off?

Simple logic says it's easier to replace than a door.

Its a cream leather door card so dont really want to break it to pieces as i know i wont find another on its own you see.

If managed to get it of a bit more now so i can get my hand behind the door but god knows how the latch opens !! Like i said iv tried proding and pushing all the lock bits inside but with no luck

Surley this has happend to someone on here before whos got a solution

You don't seem to be having much luck with this! right, if you can get your hand to the latch, there will be 2 levers if i remember correctly, one will be attached to metal rod that goes into the door the other is where the exterior door handle striker hits. make sure the lever nearest the inside (with metal rod attached) is flicked up and then see if you can push the striker down to pop the door open.

Oh and in answer to your first question, no... don't cut your door off!!!

Edited by swiftkid

from my fading memory I'm sure if you put the window down fully and remove the rubber along the of of the door you can get enough access to get into the lock bits. There is a flat piece of metal visible which seems to cause this problem. Hook this and pull up or push it down, can't remember which but worth a fiddle to see if it helps. you should also have some access to the door actuator rods. Just be careful taking the weatherstrip off as they are easily damaged. Best of luck.

Cheers guys no look still although i have been out all day so not really had a proper look since last night ill give all your advice a go im not going to cut the door off but i was a bit annoyed last nite when i posted lol

I have tried pushing and pulling alot but only the central locking works just not on the drivers door to open it

Im honna have another bash tomorrow after elsecar and see how it goes

Hopefully i can get it open

Wullie iv already found out the hard way i broke some of the rubber by accident i think when the car got blown over the paint had stook the ruber to the door bit its not to bad i superglued it back and you can hardly tell

Cheers again ill let u know how i get on

One more thing if i do get the door open do i remove the lock fully and get a new one or fix the existing ?

I would advise finding out whats broken and seeing what can be done. If you need a hand im about this weekend, got thursday off and I need to head into hull college so could maybe meet up for a look.

not sure if this will help you, but here is some info and bad photos from when my door got stuck

here's what i've discovered

the little arm on the lock/latch part wasn't returning up, once i'd locked car it was stuck down.

DSC01477.jpg

i think this is whats causing my problem, as i can pull that up and door opens with the handle, i've sprayed it with wd40 and it is now springy again, but i've yet to test the locking again as its still hanging out of door.

you can get to this lever with the door stuck shut and the door card on, you just need to get a metal rod with a hooked end, to reach in and pull lever up

hard to see

DSC01479.jpg but the lever is under the white thing

I would advise finding out whats broken and seeing what can be done. If you need a hand im about this weekend, got thursday off and I need to head into hull college so could maybe meet up for a look.

Cheers dude today i have managed to get the door open had to fiddle the front door card off and completley remove the rear doorcard and then get the door rubber off

Managed to get a long screwdriver throught in to the actual lock the picture below of the lock hanging off the door where the two metal bits are had completley seperated apart so think that was thr trouble

Cheers for offering tho im sure it would have come in handy

Im working thursday the new lock arrives then so still need to fit it so hope it goes well it was 40 something quid from main dealer so not to bad

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

not sure if this will help you, but here is some info and bad photos from when my door got stuck

Cheers for the pics dude the part u have highlighted is the lock bit thats exploded lol so think it had just had its day im just glad its gettin so hopefull no more starsky and hutch entrys in and out the car haha