Alex_G60_Fanatic

Front bumper bolts....

I'm having trouble getting the front bumper off my g60.

Firstly, I'll need some new bolts as two have rounded off. They are the BIG 18mm ones that go through the front cross member. Am I right in thinking that Item 17 on the image bellow is the bolt in question?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46479[/ATTACH]

Also... What do I need to loosen to get the front bumper out? thanks in advance!

Yep, them's the ones! Just undo the plugs from the backs of the indicators & fogs, then the bumper should slide out. Pull a little on one side, then the other until it's far enough to just come forward. Put a blanket or something on the floor in case it drops down.

They are 17mm bolts... you also have the 5 bolts for the chin spoiler to undo and you must support the engine before you remove the bumper!!

The air ducts from the bumper grill to arch liner are screwed on !

and if memory serves me right,Alex`s car is an early model !

Thanks guys! Doesn't the front engine mount go into the front cross member? There are three bolts at the end of each cross member two 17/18 and one smaller one, don't you just take out the 2 18mm ones (where def 18mm on mine... Or at least two where) and leave the one in the middle. Why support the engine?

four bolts in total, one behind the other on each side. head on them should be 17mm but ive had some strange size ones in my time.

the bumper support makes up part of the engine mount, if its only for a short period of time you can get away with out it, but for any length of time then a plank of wood and a trolley jack is worth while.

a lad i know drove a mk2 without a front bumper and couldnt figure out why it was hard to select gears!

It's a safety precaution- do it. In theory you should be OK, but things like that are never worth the risk. If one of the middle bolts is knackered and you remove the bumper bolts, you could be in trouble. Yeh, only remove the outer 2 of the 3- don't touch the middle ones!

And when you go to refit, I always find it easier to slot in the back bolt on each side first, and then the front. Sometimes can be a bummer to get them located, but easier to move the bumper if it's 'hinged' on the rear ones. :)

Bolts should be 17mm, and the biggest socket in the first Irwin pack should fit (hammer it on). The front bumper mounting setup is the same from the first MK2 in '83 to the last Corrado in '95, so if you're bolts are 18mm, you either used the wrong size socket (rounded off the head?) or they were after-market bolts (weaker, so rounded off the head). It helps to soak the bolts in plenty of Plusgas, or if you haven't got that, WD40. Finally, a nice big breaker bar will help too.

There is a risk if the bolts are seized that you'll snap the captive nut in the bumper bracket, which opens up a world of pain, as access to the nut is tricky with the bumper in situ. Of course a snapped bolt shouldn't be as much of a problem!

I had 3 spare bolts off my MK2 but I can't remember if I sold them or not - best to check with the dealer as they probably still sell them.

Once the bolts are out, the crossmember will be held on with a 13mm bolt on either side, which is enough to support it, but you really don't want to be driving it with the torque a G60 will put through its front engine mount.

Bolts should be 17mm, and the biggest socket in the first Irwin pack should fit (hammer it on). The front bumper mounting setup is the same from the first MK2 in '83 to the last Corrado in '95, so if you're bolts are 18mm, you either used the wrong size socket (rounded off the head?) or they were after-market bolts (weaker, so rounded off the head). It helps to soak the bolts in plenty of Plusgas, or if you haven't got that, WD40. Finally, a nice big breaker bar will help too.

There is a risk if the bolts are seized that you'll snap the captive nut in the bumper bracket, which opens up a world of pain, as access to the nut is tricky with the bumper in situ. Of course a snapped bolt shouldn't be as much of a problem!

I had 3 spare bolts off my MK2 but I can't remember if I sold them or not - best to check with the dealer as they probably still sell them.

Once the bolts are out, the crossmember will be held on with a 13mm bolt on either side, which is enough to support it, but you really don't want to be driving it with the torque a G60 will put through its front engine mount.

Not imagining it... I got one of the bolts off and they are 18mm. They must be after market, the largest socket in the first irwin set goes up to 17mm and so wont fit. I got some new bolts from VW that should come tomorrow or Wednesday next week. The 13mm bolts look in good nick but i think I'll prop the engine anyway, it wont hurt. As for the torque of the engine stressing the bolts i don't intend to drive around without my front bumper, especially seeing as i don't have an MOT or Tax... and my radiator has no fluid in it either, and my suspension is shagged and my rear bumper is loose, and the rear engine mounts are fudged..... among other things. :lol:

You'll need the 3/4" (~19mm) from the other set to get 18s off old buddy old pal :D

welcome to the Corrado Project club....see you in 7 years.

You'll need the 3/4" (~19mm) from the other set to get 18s off old buddy old pal :D

welcome to the Corrado Project club....see you in 7 years.

LOL too right! It's already two years and counting! But it's OK... i got the irvin extension set today in the post, ill be able to finish her off by next week now.... Maybe

As for the torque of the engine stressing the bolts i don't intend to drive around without my front bumper, especially seeing as i don't have an MOT or Tax... and my radiator has no fluid in it either, and my suspension is shagged and my rear bumper is loose, and the rear engine mounts are fudged..... among other things. :lol:

So it's nearly finished then?

Just to let you guys know the story. Two of the bolts where 18mm and two where 17mm. The air ducts to the brakes where screwed to the arch liner but not to the bumper so where not a problem and finally... There is indeed one bolt that goes through the arch liner to the bumper. I couldn't have done any of it without my irwin's though, they are the bees knees.