richlyons

2.0 8v raddo's

hi,

not been on here since i sold my raddo last year.

im missing it so im gonna buy another one :)

the ones near me and within my budget are 2.0 8v, are these as bad as ive herd?

my last one was a early (g reg) kr on bike carbs :) im just thinking that the 8v might be a feel a bit slow?

what do you guys know about them?

rich

An 8v isn't going to set the world alight performance wise, but they're great! They drive really nicely- more low down grunt than the 16v, but do run out of steam up the revs. Great fuel consumption for a 2 litre petrol car. Go for it!

I love(d) my 8V. As Cazza says they don't break any land speed records but they are a nice torquey engine with plenty of low rpm pull. Nippy round town and driven properly you can make good progress point-to-point. They don't have any more to give above about 4000rpm so changing gear early keeps them singing away nicely.

Incidentally I did manage a 9.47 lap of the Nurburgring in my 8V. Admittedly it was dry and I was one of the last on before the end of a touristenfahrten session so I had a pretty much empty track in front of me. Someone got a picture of it cocking a back wheel up in the air so I wouldn't call them slow, they're just a nice relaxing drive :)

I'd definitely recommend one!

Cheers

Tom

cool, cheers for the info, im off to see one on thurs and im gonna ring the bloke about the other :)

do they run the same injection system as the 2.0 16v? theres a mk3 golf abf in my local scrap yard.

so if i got the abf, could i run the same fueling system and just change over the running gear?

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

im selling my 8v if anyone is interested.

i would be but your 300+ miles away :(

No, don't think so. 8v is digifant/MP9/SIMOS, 16v Kjet AFAIK.

Edited by CazzaVR

I've really got to like the 8v driving it every day, seems to just drive without any fuss, quiet car on a standard exhaust and more than capable of keeping up with traffic on the motorway. It's not a bad motor at all and easy to work on. Some have the 2e engine and the last ones the ady, not much in it but I think the ady is slightly better, cylinder head change mainly, all are basically the same as same age mk3 gti 8v, digifant 2 injection.

Agree with the above, over the years I've had 3 8v's, brilliant engines and they suit the rado well, they're certainly not quick but if you want a street racer you won't be considering a 115bhp car. As said, MPG is fantastic, they're very reliable, cheap to fix, easy to get parts for, nice amount of torque low down (which suits my driving style) - all in a great car, I personally wouldn't even consider owning another 16v, the 8v is a MUCH better car.

Talking numbers for you, i regularly get 35+ MPG even when i put my foot down a bit. My record is 48MPG so there fantastic on fuel. Speed wise, they seem to have no power above 5.5k rev but above 2 there nippy. you can do 20 MPH in 5th and still pull away with no judders. Overtaking, you can be doing 40MPH in 5th and take someone with no brown trouser moments. Changing down to 4th doesn't seem to make much difference but its not needed anyway. If your after a comfortable cruiser and don't want to drive like you have a rocket permanently attached to the back, the 8v it brilliant. Had it two years now (just sold) and gutted to see it leave :( (and there were only 213 made, so you dont see many about :))

I read today that the 2E/ADY engine in the 8v C is a tall block engine, essentially the same bottom end as the ABF mk3 16v engine (longer con rods than a KR or 9A engine), so that might contribute to why they have a nice bit of torque low down and a nice smooth spread of torque, in fact the 2L 8v has as much torque at 3000 revs as a 1.8 16v has at it's peak at over 5000, around 120-125lbft.

8v might not set the world alight, but the 1.8T (150bhp) which is known to be torquey at low revs is only 25lbft higher and in a heavier car in just about every application.

8v Digifant to 16v ABF is a common conversion in MK2 Golf circles, and as close to plug and play as you can get for a whole engine swap. You can keep the Digifant 3 from the ABF.