Sign in to follow this  
nzgti

16v Centre Console Gauges

Hi There

I have a 1990 1.8 1 to sdell it for6v corrado. It has been in New Zealand all off it's life.

What i want to do is install some centre console gagues bplace it with is a but need the plastic insert. that will hold the gauges.

What i have there at the moment is an original audio cassett stacker system.

What i want to do is replace it with an oil pressure and a voltmeter gauge. I've seen a G60 with one in so assume it must be a standard VAG part.

My question is, does anyone have one? know where i can get one?

there is one on E-bay.com atb the moment from a 1995 VR6. but they are trying to sell it for $200+USD.

any input appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum nzgti 8)

There are 2 types of gauge panel for the Corrado... The early one that will fit yours is just a holder for 2x 52mm gauges that you need to buy seperately. The later one is actually a pair of gauges made into a single unit that will fit into the storage bin where you currently have the tape storage, although I don't think that this one will fit into a 16V's location, as it was designed to fit the later Corrados.

Is your car a left, or right hand drive model? If it's left hand drive, then you can buy one from either europe (not the UK though) or the US. If it's right hand drive then you're stuck in the same situation as us Brits and just have to keep an eye on Ebay.co.uk as the panels are now obsolete from VW :|

I had no problems buying these panels in RHD format when I was working in Germany. They had loads.

I reckon that any VW dealer could get one, if they really wanted. Most parts blokes won't put themselves out for you. They think its obsolete because it is not on the latest ETKA. If you have the numbe,r then I think you could get one. I used to pay less than 10 quid for them in Germany.

Gavin

there is one on E-bay.com atb the moment from a 1995 VR6. but they are trying to sell it for $200+USD.

any input appreciated.

Cheers

AFAIK the later ones won't fit your C cos of a subtle difference with dashboards etc........so the 95 one wont be any use

It's a RHD.

The one that I am after is one for 2 round VDO gauges. They look better i think, than the one complete one from the states which is a complete unit looks a bit strange.

So.. Where can I get one..

H100VW....where did you get one? do you have a part number?

and while I'm at it. Do you guy have an online parts order place that you trend to deal with? like some VAG parts dealer who ships world wide?

*mod edit - Double post removed and moved thread to interior section - Henny*

You can do what I did and make a panel from flat aluminium alloy sheet, shaped to fit in the cubby hole opening, with 52mm dia holes to accept each VDO gauge., and then spray black. You can even just about get three gauges in instead of two if you mount them just above the mid line of the panel. Pad the rear of the gauges out with some foam and the panel is a push fit in to the hole, perfect, oil temp / oil pressure and voltmeter in one panel!

Cassette stowage comes out very easily, on mine at least it just pulled out with a liitle persuasion, I dont have a personal webspace set up at moment to upload photos to this site from, but if you can access the UK Corrado Yahoo Group, there are piccys in the 'Photos' section, in the file called 'Mark Thomas'. If not, PM me your e-mail and i can send you photos direct. Send me your address as well if you wish (probably gonna regret saying this! :) ) and i'll see what i can do to make and send you a panel like mine ( two holes or three, your choice ) at no cost to you. Can't guarantee when i'd be able to get it done, but you shouldnt have to wait too long.

Regds, Mark.

I dont have a personal webspace set up at moment to upload photos to this site from

Just click on the add attachment button int the compose a post window, browse to the pic on your local hard drive and it'll upload it onto the forum and host the pics here for you... 8)

It's a RHD.

The one that I am after is one for 2 round VDO gauges. They look better i think, than the one complete one from the states which is a complete unit looks a bit strange.

So.. Where can I get one..

H100VW....where did you get one? do you have a part number?

Let me have your chassis number, there could be two different ones.

Gavin

*mod edit - sorted your quote for you (and corrected the spelling of your name!) - Henny*

OK, NZGTI have sent you the piccies via e-mail, but will also post as an attachment here(didn't know i could do that!) BTW the gauges are in line correctly, just a bit distorted by digicam image, honest!

KVWLOON Since you've "fabricated" panels in the past.....

Do you fancy making up a panel for my '95 VR6??

That space in the centre console is just toooo big :)

Mike 16v,... 'that's a relocated sunroof switch',....yep, I was gonna say that! :roll: Basically I got fed up with looking like i was giving following drivers the finger each time i used the sunroof. It's a much nicer place to have the switch, easy to operate sunroof without taking your eyes off the road. Might do a quick write-up for submitting to the Sprinter if i get a chance?!

As for the making up a panel, I'm sure I could be persuaded! U after fitting two or three VDO gauges, and is the shape of the cubby hole the same on the early and later Corrado's? If u let me know it shouldn't take too long to sort out, (but I'm not planning to go in to mass production! :) )

I'm sure the write up for the sprinter would be welcomed - there is a bit of a drought on articles at the minute, and thats a nifty idea for a mod :)

Part number for the (RHD) twin round gauge plate is: 536 858 201 You'll also need 2 screws, 2 screw covers and the gauges and senders that you wish to fit into the panel... 8)

After a heavy night on the town, followed by a kebab, I sometimes wish it was a recirculation type selector type thing! Just pray the sunroof keeps working.....!

kvwloon Thank you for the kind offer. :lol:

I'll know tomorrow when I attempt to fit the cassette holder from my old 16v if the dimensions are the same.

I think the later style interiors have a slightly larger hole. :shock:

I'll make a note of the dimensions and post them up.

Cheers

OK, let me know, will be ideal if 16v cassette holder fits OK, as thats a perfect template for me! Presume you are after two holes? Will be bare alloy for you to finish as you wish....like this.....which I gave to another Corrado owner recently! Should be able to paint, fit gauges, wrap something like sheet foam around them and push fit assembly in to the cubby hole. Thats what I did anyway.