okcid

Crank pully wobble rubbishness!!!

As above guys,

Changed the charger recently and noticed the crank pully wobbles on idle.

Seems fine when reved but this could just be my eyes deceiving me as it spins faster.

Checked bolt and 4 smaller ones but seem tight, could it be bent?:scratch:

Is there any kind of rubber seal/bush/gromit within the assembly that could have perished?

Thanks in advance

The crank pulley is also an inertia damper, which means it is manufactured from inner and outer metal components bonded together by a rubber core. This allows the high torque crank output to be damped so as not to impart shock upon the other crank pulley driven units. If the bolts that hold the crank pulley are all ok then your pulley is either buckled or the rubber core has failed. If the rubber core had failed, or the pulley is buckled you must replace the pulley as it can not be repaired and will cause greater damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently had crank pully wobble which turned out to be the key inside the pulley breaking up and allowing the pulley to turn on the crankshaft. Caught it before it did too much damage and replaced the pulley with a new one, and bolt. Whole saga and symptoms here http://direct.the-corrado.net/showthread.php?55045-Fate-tempted-and-it-retaliated

drink more,wont notice the wobble as much

But then it leaves the problem of not beening able to drive the car :)

lol.....funny you say that i had a six pack in the fridge and thought to my self "mmm i might have a sneaky one while the mrs is at work"

Then i noticed she bought her self two bottles of Rosé wine!

Not my kind of thing but i thought i'd help my self to a glass for a laugh......

Now then, I live in a small village called Ilminster and everything shuts quite early here.

I currently find my self wondering how i can replace two bottles before she gets home....... :hic:

haha on a serious note i forgot to ask (during my apparent new founded love for Rosé) how easy it is to change the crank pully and what tools i need.

My issue is that my car i quite low and i do not have ramps.

If i jack up the front drivers side and take of the wheel is it quite easy to do?

Hi, if the wobble is only a noise, it might not be the crankshaft, I thought this was the issue on my polo, but it was the waterpump making the noise, worth a check!

If you jack up the car on the drivers side it is possible with a 24" extension to get a socket on the crankshaft bolt. Use another jack or bricks or whatever to support the extension at it's outermost point to keep it stable and not twist down and out of line and with someone standing on the brakes with the car in gear you should be able to undo the bolt. Then working from above and below you can get the pulleys and covers off and have a look at what is happening. Sorry, I'm just in after a poetry night which involved quite a lot of red, not rose. wine, accompanied with some real ales so I'm a bit thingy. If you need more detail drop me a PM and when I've recovered my my ability to think straight I'll try and put words on a computer screen.