krishen

Tyre pressures

What tyre pressures are people running on there corrados? I thought 32 all round was standard but today actually took note of the sticker on the drivers sill and it was a lot higher (36 front and 34 rear i think).

Ive got 205/50/15 rainsport 2 tyres on standard speedlines (not sure if this makes the slightest difference to tyre pressures.)

Yeah I thought the C had higher than normal pressures. It's prob what helps it handle so well.

In contrast, the Mk2 Golf runs 29psi as standard.

higher pressures mean a more harsh ride. i stick to about 32-30 for daily comfort.

My back is getting any better! ;)

they mean higher mpg too :D

If you can tell the difference between a few psi in your tyres, I'd say there might be something up with your suspension, or your wheels have VERY big sidewalls! :D

higher pressures mean a more harsh ride. i stick to about 32-30 for daily comfort.

My back is getting any better! ;)

It will also mess up the handling completely - tyre pressure also provide predicatable cornering behaviour - you get a lot more crabbing in the corner with under inflated tyres and you will wear them out faster as well.

The 4 cylinder models run 38 at the front IIRC without looking at the stickers.

Always ensure your tyres are at the correct pressure - if your back is playing up then I am going to guess you have coilovers or larger than standard rims..?

say your running non standard wheels then say 16 x 9 all round in my case would you go by the pressure stated on the tyre or still by the car ??

my mind says by the car still but im usually wrong

The car sticker is quoting pressure for the standard tyres sizes and profiles. If you have changed the tyres, then you should go off the manufacturer's recommendations for the tyres, as the little tyre sticker inside the door shut doesn't apply to you anymore.

Pressure is pressure isn't it?

I ran my Golfs at 28-30 all round but the Corrado just seems to need at least 36 at the front to feel right...

depends a bit on tyre make, personal preference and of course size, a bigger tyre generally needs less pressure, 4cyl cars vary depending on the engine, 8v is the lowest at 36psi others are around 37/38.

Try what VW recommend and then adjust by a few psi until you find what you like, certainly needs less at the back than the front as we all rarely have much in the back or boot of a C. On the 4 cyl cars on 195-50-15's I find 36/33 to my liking, perhaps a bit more for a long M-way journey, and a bit less in winter.

Well i had 4 new uni royal rainsport 2 tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago and the pressure was 32 all round. Changed that to 36 front and 34 rear and it seems to definitely make a difference to how the car feels. Plus the front tyres now don't look 'flat'.