Sparkkadian

My first ever Corrado! (16v tuning advise please)

Hi ive just recently bought myself a lovely, clean dark burgundy pearl 2.0 16v Corrado. I love it so much, ive always wanted a corrado, they are one of my favorite all time cars, and although i couldnt afford the best of the best vr6, ive landed this valver and its not disappointed. Nearly crashed loads of times watching the spoiler going up and down, how can that ever get boring! I dont think ive ever been this happy all round with a car before. :D

Now, ive read lots of threads on mild performance mods, but still wondering which cams either abf or kr have the highest lift and will give me the most power gains? Will exhaust manifolds for the kr and abf engines also fit mine? Thinking of K&N panel filter maybe drill the wing side of the airbox. Dont want to go too mad because as soon as ive got the car as i want it, id look into a g60 or vr6 conversion, because the car itself very nice, original and straight. Does anyone have any other ideahs on performance mods for my current engine, and also is there alot of work involved in a vr6 or g60 conversion?

Thanx, -Mike-

KR cams are better than ABF I think.

Tuning your engine as is will be a good starting point.

a *LOT* of work for VR6 conversion, unsure of G60. I know all the suspension and subframes are the same on the 4cylinder engines.

Welcome to the forum. I see you have picked the Hero colour :D

Thanks very much for the info. Ahh another burgundy pearl, definitely my favorite colour now hehe. Its not the most powerful engine but certainly no slouch, especially in the Corrado chassis, will be having alot of fun in it this summer. Im also after a nice interior ive e-mailed Anton Sobriquet about his twice but no answer. If anyone knows about his or any other interior im EXTREMELY interested. Must be a dark cloth one really. Will consider a nice black leather one though.

1.8t for power and relability,VR6 and G60 for awesome noise,G60 would be easier, as for a vr6 coversion you need different subframe,struts and other stuff.

Dont build what you can buy!

My advice before any sort of "tuning" is to get the car solid and reliable as minor problems very quickly turn into major ones on these cars.

KR cams are known to be the best for a slight performance gain but it'll be worth doing the cam belt, tensioner cam cover gasket, etc.

It's often best to go for genuine VW parts, if you can blag yourself a TPS account (VW suppliers), even better!

Great advice guys thanx alot. Nothing compares to the noise of a VR6 or G60, but its better to buy one outright rather than a conversion by the sound of it. I think as time and money allows me, ill get the stance and handling just how i want it, try and get the cams done from a KR, good exhaust system with 4 branch, de-cat, K&N panel filter, maybe a power chip or something, and leave it at that. If i decide down the road i want a lot more power, then the 20v T route sounds good, i imagine it wouldn't be too expensive nowadays as that type of conversion has been done to death, seems to be a lot of engines floating around for not much money. The Corrado chassis would handle the power well me thinks. :o

Another thing to remember is that it's a favourite trick of the corrado to self destruct a part of itself every time you buy it a present

Another thing to remember is that it's a favourite trick of the corrado to self destruct a part of itself every time you buy it a present

Never a truer word said!!!! :)

1.8t for power and relability,VR6 and G60 for awesome noise,G60 would be easier, as for a vr6 coversion you need different subframe,struts and other stuff.

Dont build what you can buy!

VR6 Struts are fine on a 4pot, I have VR6 gas suspension all round on the Plum.

kr cams ...k&n panel filter ...drilled air box...stainless system with cat bypass(keep cat for mot)...

do not convert the car from 16v to g60 or vr6 never build a car you can buy...if you want a vr6 or g60 sell the 16v and buy one....but im all for 20vt conversion as seriously rapid cars ....or why not keep the 16v engine and turbo that ????? or spend mega bucks and again keep the 16v but build 16v g60...

Welcome first of all and great choice in colour as well ;)

Before my VR I had a 16v and had KR cam fitted. The performance wasn't a noticeable difference but it made the car reved so much better in the top end. As well as a cat back exhaust system, removed the snorkel from the air box, K&N panel filter and a DG autotech remap and it went very well. Was told by a couple of a VR6 owners and G60 owners it went well when in convoy :D Ask Abdul on here as he has it now. Well its up for sale now :( but if your close to him try and have a test drive of it and you will feel a difference.

Can also ask Kempy on here as he has been taken for a spin in it as well :D

kr cams ...k&n panel filter ...drilled air box...stainless system with cat bypass(keep cat for mot)...

Gonna get all of that done i think, with the valver revving and breathing a lot better with a little more power, that should keep me going for a while. Wont spend mega bucks but, once the cars all finished and ready for it, i reckon i could do a nice solid 20v T transplant pushin 250-280bhp for under £1000. That would make such an awesome plum Raddo road toy :thumb right:

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Welcome first of all and great choice in colour as well ;)

Before my VR I had a 16v and had KR cam fitted. The performance wasn't a noticeable difference but it made the car reved so much better in the top end. As well as a cat back exhaust system, removed the snorkel from the air box, K&N panel filter and a DG autotech remap and it went very well. Was told by a couple of a VR6 owners and G60 owners it went well when in convoy :D Ask Abdul on here as he has it now. Well its up for sale now :( but if your close to him try and have a test drive of it and you will feel a difference.

Can also ask Kempy on here as he has been taken for a spin in it as well :D

Hehe sounds great, remap would finish it all off nicely for now. Will do thanks, shud be good fun!

Gonna get all of that done i think, with the valver revving and breathing a lot better with a little more power, that should keep me going for a while. Wont spend mega bucks but, once the cars all finished and ready for it, i reckon i could do a nice solid 20v T transplant pushin 250-280bhp for under £1000. That would make such an awesome plum Raddo road toy :thumb right:

I'd rethink that budget there if I was you. I don't think you can even get a decent 20v for under £1k let alone do a transplant.

Really? Ive seen a few conversions i think with all the parts needed going for £400-£700 with decent miles etc. Id best prepare to pay more than ive stated though, i want a decent Job done of it, if thats what they go for then thats what they go for.