okcid

S3 TFSI and DSG box in a mk2.....??????

As above.....how hard you think?

Been offered the engine for an extremely good price and with only 1700 miles!

Seller has asked me if i'd want the DSG box as well.

Now i know it can be done as there is that white mk2 from denmark (i believe) with the DSG box but theres two things.

I owned a new scirocco and am unsure if i would like the DSG over a normal manual box.

Also how much work would be involved to fit the DSG as i can imagine it is probably bigger than your average gearbox...right???

I've always stayed away from the 1.8T and stuck with my G60 as i think the 1.8T if far too popular now.

Not many TFSI's out there especially with the DSG box. 260bhp standard and 300bhp with just a remap!

Thoughts?

It's not easy! Not alot of stuff on the market to help you out either. Quite alot of custom stuff needed and some electronic trickery. Have tried doing in a Corrado, way to much hassle

yes thats what i've been looking at :)

ohh soo tempting!!

Been offered the engine for dirt cheap so it is very tempting.

What are your thoughts on the DSG, think it would ruin the drive. Dont get me wrong i think they work but always prefer a manual

I looked into this too, but couldn't find an engine for a good price or much info on retro fitting it. There's a few engines on ebay but they want silly money for a bare engine.

These engines are very complex in terms of intergrating the management and ancillary systems into an older car, so if Qpeng do a plug and play kit, all the better!

I'd go with the 6 sp manual 02M personally. Keep it simple, keep it light :)

i've been offered the engine with all auxiliaries, loom and clocks for £1600.

Bearing it's only done 1700 miles i think thats a very good price.

He wants 600 quid for the dsg but i'd prob end up finding a 6 speed manual for the conversion.

the DSG box will be 4WD won't it, so the take off for the prop will need covering at least?

Interested to know how you get on with this, I'm hoping to do this in the future (after the kit car, baby and house... could be a while!)

If you don't take the engine, let me know!

The DSG box is actually lighter than the 02M manual!

The 7 Spd box weighs 70kg

Edited by Supercharged

i'm going to contact Quantum tomorrow as i want to know a little more about this plug and play and whats needed.

It's gonna be a mission by the sounds of it but 265bhp as a starting block is a little too tempting........

I have decided that i would want a normal manual on reflection and not go for the DSG box.

Apart from the extra cost i have found out a lot of the units have been recalled. Found this on another forum -

Recall number is 37E5

I think the problems mentioned on this thread are due to this overheating problem.

On the recall letter I received it says:

'Possibility of the electronic control unit of the gearbox to read false temp data on clutch which results to flashing gears on DIS, tremble of car, reduction of tourque, and disengage of clutch'

One of the members on the forum had this problem, dsg put it's self in neutral then put it's self back in gear after she released the had brake. The car reversed into a fence, she put the handbrake back on and then it drove her forward into a van!!!!

Imagine that, no thanks lol.

Looks like my G60 Engine might be up for sale then, anybody want one?

Can't seem to advertise it on her for some reason, any ideas?